When did your child's Dr. okay peanuts?

Ok, I'm reading conflicting things on this. My child's doctor said to wait until 2 because an allergy is less likely to develop if you wait.I've read this in plenty of places. Then, last night, I was reading the most current issue of Parents magazine and there was a long article on how now studies are saying that it's better to introduce them at age 12 months. Apparently now studies are showing that they're less likely to develop an allergy if they're introduced earlier. My son is almost 15 months. What do you think? When were you old to introduce it?

LovingSAHMommy

Asked by LovingSAHMommy at 10:31 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• The studies are conflicting. The age recommendation also varies if you have family history.

When my kids were infants, we were told to wait until age 2. My DS was introduced then with no issues. DD was introduced then and is allergic to peanuts, walnuts, almonds and other tree nuts, as well as shellfish (shrimp, lobster, crab specifically. She tested negative to mollusks.)

Another consideration, however, is that nuts and nut-butters can be a choking hazard for young children. If you do offer her peanut butter, spread it on thin. Too thick and it becomes hard for young children to manage. Also keep in mind that it can take multiple exposures before an allergy presents as a reaction. My DD, who is considered very allergic, had peanut butter twice before her first reaction - and that one was delayed by about 6 hours from the time she ate it to the time she started vomiting. Her next reaction was instant.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• i year with no family history 2 or older with family history. I gave my DD some at 11 months to be honest...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:34 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My doctor never said. I think my daughter had peanut butter at about 18 months.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:34 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I think when my kids were that little, the conventional wisdom was 2 years, and that's all I heard from magazines, doctors, etc. I think I did wait until close to 2 before letting them have little nibbles of peanut butter, like maybe 20 months. I felt more comfortable starting a smidge sooner because of the fact that we have ZERO family history of food allergies of any sort. Neither of my kids had any reaction to it at all and still very much enjoy nuts and peanut butter :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:34 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• *1 year... I'm not really sure what I typed there. lol. i year!!
    But_Mommie

• We waited until age 2. Allergies can be a strange thing. Sometimes babies are born with them, sometimes they develop them later on. There are food allergies in my family and in DH's family so I was more than willing to wait.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 10:37 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Everything I read when my son was little was to wait at least a year.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• when were you told*

And I should say nuts, of any kind.
    LovingSAHMommy

Comment by LovingSAHMommy (original poster) at 10:32 AM on Dec. 10, 2010