is medication the route to go to treat add or adhd? I am very against medicating children and am looking for other alternatives

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:48 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My son has ADHD. No medication at this point. We're doing behavior therapy, a TSS for school, and occupational therapy. If he needs medication at some point down the road, I am not against it. But not right now.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:54 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I have ADD and so does my oldest. We are also testing my youngest boy because he is hyperactive. This is how I see it. My life was a MESS. Things weren't getting done and I couldn't function. I needed some help. My son was failing school, we had tried every other route. We would never force him, he ASKED us if he could try it. He knew. I don't believe that everyone with ADD needs medication but I do know that some do. It bothers me when people demonize medication when they have no idea what it's like to be in MY head and not be able to finish a complete thought. Medication or not though, you always have to learn how to manage your disorder to succeed. I wish I had more help sooner. Try reading the book Delivered From Distraction, by John M Ratey. I have read a lot of books but this one hit home for me. It was like he knew me. It may help you to understand a little more.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Musicmom, my son is only 4. Like I said, I'm not against medication at all. I'm on medication for anxiety. I just think I should try other avenues with my son first.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 10:57 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I never said anything that was even remotley directed to you. I didn't even read your answer.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 10:59 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Dietary changes did nothing for my twin boys who have Acute Genetic ADHD. They were diagnosed at 6 & are now 18. They have been on several meds as they went through puberty, body changes, hormonal changes, etc. They have been on Vyvanse for a year now and will tell you they LOVE what it does for them. They can sit in a class, listen & learn, retain information, went from failing to passing with flying colors. They don't like themselves so much without the med, as they tend to have anger issues, trouble focusing and staying on task. They are very unproductive without their meds. I will most likely get several vote downs for my opinion. But, as a mom who has dealt with this with 2 kids for over 12 years now, I do speak from experience. I'm not sure why so many ppl are against meds. Do those same ppl disagree with insulin, BP meds, etc? I'm not attacking anybody. Just wondering.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:00 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• There is this wonderful thing called "Attentive Child" for kids by Source Naturals, and another thing called "Added Attention" by buried treasure,... they have all natural and contains ingredients that will help to nourish his brain... sounds gross, I know, but they work well. According to the ingredients though, I would go with the "Added Attention" one, because it is liquide and will be better absorbed, and it has all of the same ingredients of the first one, and then some. Also, I would look into getting something called "Coromega" it is your Omega 3 fatty acids which are essential to a child's brain development and function. Another thing too would be to go and get something called "Soy Lecithin" it contains something called phosphatytal serine (not sure if it is spelled correctly but that is how it sounds) which has a nourishing effect and some say a calming effect on the brain.. much less expensive (continued)
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 11:09 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• than buying the concentrated version of the stuff... Also, I would increase his B-Vitamin intake... which is very important to every function in the body, but helps the brain tremendously as well... You can get the B-vitamins in liquid sublingual (under the tongue) or pill sublingual. The soy lecithin comes in granuals that would be easy to mix into food, and the "Added Attention" comes in a fruity liquid.... the best deal you could get on this stuff will probably be on www.puritan.com, but def. shop around... Hope that helps some!
    momof2redhedz

Answer by momof2redhedz at 11:13 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Both of my boys were ADHD, we used meds in the beginning, but after they got into their teens we took them off.

koolmom343

Answer by koolmom343 at 11:14 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• i would look into behavior therapy and dietary changes first. i am no fan of medications either...so they would be my last choice.

special...i have never been in your shoes...my feelings are that our society is over medicated (i am not saying your boys or you, just in general)
    there are side effects to all medications, and that really scares me.
    my kids have never had any medication. i haven't had a tylenol or antibiotic in about 10 years. i always explore natural alternatives first.
    if high blood pressure comes from poorly managed stress, then i think medication is not the best choice. those are issues that should be discussed between a patient and a dr.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• The woman who watched my sons for years had a daughter with a food allergy to red food dyes. When she ate anything with that dye, she became hyperactive and combative. She removed all foods with artificial dyes from their diet and her daughter improved almost immediately. My mom is allergic to caffeine, and she has similiar symptoms.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:28 AM on Dec. 10, 2010