11 hour drive, split over 2 days at 32 weeks preg.

to go or not to go? the Dr and How I feel at the time will decide but what does everyone think? we want to go to the beach before the baby gets here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:50 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wouldn't do it but if you do, stop every two hours and get out of the car and walk around... prevents blood clots from forming in your legs. Or that's what my dr told me.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 10:52 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• you should be fine as long as you take frequent breaks to get out and stretch your legs. i did it while pregnant with my 3rd and nothing happened.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 10:53 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I personally wouldn't do it, but then again, I was REALLY uncomfortable when I was pregnant. My son sat way up high and sideways the entire pregnancy, and sometimes it was downright painful. Also, my feet were so swollen I seriously thought they might pop, lol! But...if you feel comfortable doing it, go for it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:56 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• To me it depends more on how long you will be gone for. If its a weekend trip then I would say got for it. But if it is a week or longer trip then I say no. I had DS at 34 weeks so to me it just seems to close to your due date. If you do go then make sure you stop every hour or 2 so that you can get out and walk around. I had to move 24 hours away when I was 5 months pregnant and they told me to do that because i was at high risk for a clot in my legs. If you go have fun!!
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 10:59 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Do it. It won't be the most pleasant trip, but you won't get the chance to do it again for a long time. Bring lots of support pillows for your seat. If your car doesn't have good lumbar support find a big bottle of water and put it between your lower back and the seat - that was the only thing that would save me in the car. Oh and try to put your feet up on the dash if you can, those feet can get HUGE in the car. Obviously if the doctor doesn't think you'll go early, you'll be fine. I'm sure there are hospitals along the way too and if you end up going into labor it will be a great story.
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:02 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I did a long trip when I was pregnant with our first. We live in SC and my mom had a baby shower for me in NJ (that's where ALL of our family is). I was 35 weeks along. We drive it ine one day (it takes 12 plus hours to get up there depending on traffic/weather). We got there on Thursday night and left Sunday morning. It was Memorial day weekend and we wanted to beat the traffic. I was fine and so was baby. We stopped every couple of hours and made she we did meals out of the vehicle (no drive thru and run type things). I did get my doc's approval before going and understood that if i went into labor while up there, I would have ot have baby at a 'strange" hospital.
    LorisChar

Answer by LorisChar at 12:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2010