I am a working mom of 2 and cant afford go to to the gym. what is a good way to help me lose weight?

i cant stand being the weight i am and my husband wont go for walks with me or do a work out with me on video and i cant send my kids to daycare so i can go to the gym yet even afford the gym and i feel stupid doing workouts alone at home.

honey_bear_2787

Asked by honey_bear_2787 at 11:13 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• You don't need a gym to work out and if you are serious about it you don't a partner either. Walking long distances with some music to keep you company is a great way to work out, 6 miles or more would be your goal.

Answer by older at 11:15 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• You have to do something! Go to the mall and walk, push the kids in the stroller and just do laps. Also, just find a video or two that you like and do the workout while your kids are napping. I have the WiiFit and love it - don't mind doing it in front of my hubby at night.

Answer by missanc at 11:16 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• With young children I never would have kept up on a gym membership. I have a friend at work who got the whole family one last year and they never go and are locked into a year contract. I work too, if hubby wont tag along, go for a walk with the kids, the dog. It will give you quality time to spend with the kids and find out about their day. Do you bring lunch to work? That was huge for me. I used to eat fast food, even something off the dollar menu. But still, it was so unhealthy. Pack a low carb lunch for work. Drink bottled water and skip the sodas and coffee. If there are snacks such as donuts at work, pull out a snack from your lunch box. You would be suprised how little changes make a huge difference and help you to start loosing the weight,,,good luck
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 11:19 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• You shouldn't feel stupid doing workouts at home. Put some great music on and have fun. Also, really watch what you eat. You can lose weight by just watching what you eat and the amount you eat.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 11:19 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• You can exercise any ol' way you like. Take a walk try for at least 20 minutes a day and work up. Go to the mall and walk. Do you have a bike? ride it. You don't need a partner and you certainly dont need a gym. Just get moving.
    maybaby22

Answer by maybaby22 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Ilike the Jillian Michael's 30 day shred..its at walmart for about $9.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:22 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Get yourself a MP3 player, download the songs that make you feel good, and walk around the mall. I love doing that! Also, if you have stairs in your home you can run up and down a set amount of time each day. Always park far out in the parking lots and walk. Stand instead of sitting whenever you can. Cut out soda, cookies and candy, cut down on carbs. That should do most of it for you.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:34 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Watch what you eat, work out at home drink lots of water, and what really did it for me (not so much to lose weight, but to tone up really well) was to learn to belly dance, I didn't pay for lessons either lol, I kinda learned on my own, just watched a lot of youtube lmao, it's a lot of fun too, you should try it :)
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 11:35 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I have some yoga and pilates dvd's. I wasn't able to do it all right off the bat. I just did a little at a time. I also increased my time every week. After a couple months, it wasn't nothing to go through the whole thing. Maybe add a little cardo with it. You don't have to have a gym membership to stay in shape.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:36 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I've used it several times and I swear by it: www.sparkpeople.com

It's a free website, with weight loss tools (like exercise tips and how-to videos), dietary information, and emotional support from professionals and people who are also trying to lose weight and get in shape, just like you. In that site, you can track your dietary needs (nutrients, calories, fat, etc.) and your exercise goals, as well as measurements, weight, body fat, etc.

I am probably the WORST at willpower and when I've used it, I have amazing success. The first time I went there, I lost almost 15 pounds in 8 weeks. The second time, I lost 12 pounds in 6 weeks.

What I love MOST is that they teach you how to change your life, because short term diets don't work. You always gain the weight back because you fall back into your same bad habits. SP doesn't make food your enemy, and there are no forbidden foods. They teach you proper portioning.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 11:38 AM on Dec. 10, 2010