I am watching an 11 mos old and a 3 y.o in my home. I am charging them $180/wk for both kids. i wasn't sure how much to charge so i thought 180 would be fine! The 3 y.o is a handful . Anyways my question is, for the 12 hour days mon-fri with them i think charging them $180/a week is way too cheap. Can anyone give me a little advice and give me some feedback?? Thank you!

How much should i charge watching 2 young children in my house??

childcare23

Asked by childcare23 at 11:16 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• If you aren't licensed then leave it there. If you are licensed you should call around and ask local daycares for their prices. But you can't charge huge amounts if you aren't licensed.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 11:18 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I pay 130 a week for a 9 month old, 9 hours a day.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 11:20 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• KIDS are a handful sometimes.. If you are doing childcare, you will have to figure out what works for you with this child, not charge the mother more because she is "harder" than you are used to - that somewhat disturbs me because my son has some issues and my provider has been SO wonderful and give US all tools and learning with him and learning about his behavior and quirks - I would be devistated if she came to me asking for more money because he was harder than her children.. and there are city guidelines for pricing but $180 sounds like enough for 2 kids these ages... that is what it would be here at least
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:21 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• That is only 3$ an hour for two kids. To me it sounds like to little. You should do what you feel comfortable with, but don't be taken advantage of either.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 11:23 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My daughter and son, but he goes like one day a week and she cuts us a break on him, goes to daycare and it's just flat rated at 400 full time anything over 24 hours. Anything under is 300. This is done with a monthly basis.
    So if you did something similar you would make a little more at 800 in the month vs. 720.
    The only other thing I know is that some people charge by the hour. Kids under 2 are 3.50 and Kids over are like 2.50, some change some don't based on the age and needeness of the child. Using that kind of math it'd be 210 a week for the baby and 150 for the big kid, unless you chose to charge the same for both. Which in a month would be 840 and 600.
    Anyways. I guess it depends on what you think is best and what the parent is able to do. How much do you need the extra income, ect.
    If you do change it, I'd say give them a fair notice, like maybe a week or two or even a month. Just so they aren't caught out.
    JadeRDragosani

Answer by JadeRDragosani at 11:28 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Sounds cheap for 12 hour days. Do you provide the meals and snacks?
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:29 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• 12-hour days you can charge $200 a week.

Less hours than $180. is okay.

Just remember raising your kids or other is a hard job! That is why some women go to work. I babysat for women who hated being home with their kids.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:30 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Most day cars charge anywhere from $125-$175 from 6am-6pm per child. I'ld up it to at least $225 for both.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 11:34 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Well day cares charge 25 dollars a day which is 100 dollars a week but only watch children for 8 hours a day. If i were you i would charge each parent 100 dollars for 8 hours and 140 for 12 hours. Bc that is 12 hours out of your day that your spending with 2 children that are not yours. So i would sit the parents down and talk to them. But you should charge each parent 100 dollars a week nothing lower.
    jessicafield190

Answer by jessicafield190 at 11:52 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I watched 2 kids (4 &almost 2) for 7 maybe 8 hours a day and was paid 250/week through college (2003-2006). The family still pays the same and both kids are in school, 1 all day one half day. She also prvided money for going our to lunch and visits to the zoo/museum/etc.
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 11:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2010