Would you be ok with creationism AND evolution both being taught in public schools?

AngiDas

Asked by AngiDas at 1:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• But it is Okay to teach in schools the Theory of Evolution? Something, again, that not all families are raised to believe? In schools, They TRY to teach children to be fair, to respect each other and each others feelings but in actuality.. what is happening is this.

Evolution is being taught, with little to no regards to Creation. Yet, many schools across the nation still say the Pledge of Allegiance. Numerous quotations in the America's history are references to God yet nothing is being done to teach the theory of creation. There are many many ways this can be taught without stepping on parental right to teach their own children about religion.

Oh and let us not forget that in schools, on playgrounds, in grocery stores, so many people are so quick to Thank God for everyday things... yet they protest any teachings...

Kind of ironic don't ya think?
    AaronsMom79

Answer by AaronsMom79 at 1:53 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• yes they should both be taught...after all evolution is only a theory but it gets taught as if ti's the gospel truth!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:12 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Oh yes they should teach SCIENCE but only one myth, I want them to teach the myth of the invisible pink unicorn that created the world, too, and the myth of the spaghetti monster, and the myth of the.... (sarcasm off now)
    Religion has no place in the American public school system.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Amen SAHMinIL !!! I am Christian, and I think it would be a HUGE step if we could just get them to teach Creationism at all! Right now, Evolution is the only theory being tought, which is robbing children of being able to decide for themselves. I don't know why it's so taboo anyway. I've really tried to think of the universe in terms of being one huge accident, and I can't make that theory work for me.
    brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I understand science, but I think its my responsibility to teach my children about God. I don't want some teacher confusing them. My children will believe what they choose to believe as they grow up. Church and State should be separate.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 1:24 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Yes it should because with a proper education and knowledge of BOTH theories it leaves them able to come to their own conclusions and own beliefs.

As for the "Religion has no place..." While this is the land of the free, and we thankfully have freedom of speech and freedom of religion, we also live in a county that our forefathers build as "ONE NATION UNDER GOD" and "IN GOD WE TRUST"

It is in our courtrooms, which we all rely on to uphold the justice system.. it is on the money we spend each and everyday..... i it needs to be taught so that ppl can make their own minds up...
    AaronsMom79

Answer by AaronsMom79 at 1:25 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• It's not labeled as "creationism" but there is the theory of "intelligent design" but that is NOT being taught!!!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 1:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• AaronsMom....you rock

brandyj

Answer by brandyj at 1:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• As for the "Religion has no place..." While this is the land of the free, and we thankfully have freedom of speech and freedom of religion, we also live in a county that our forefathers build as "ONE NATION UNDER GOD" and "IN GOD WE TRUST"

But thats in YOUR house, (not shouting, emphasising). Some people raise thier children not believeing in God. If a child reaches the age to where they begin thinking for themselves, then by all means they can persue anything they want. I don't think its fair to cram it into a childs face at school. I believe in God and discuss with my children. But thats my responsibility. If I wanted my children to learn this at school I would send them to Catholic school or another.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 1:36 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I believe children should be taught how to think, not what to think. Give them information on both theories and be truthful about their origins, strengths and faults and let them come to their own conclusion. I am Christian. I went to a Christian school. My teacher refered to Creationism/Intelligent Design as the truth and Evolution as the lie. I decided for my self that the truth that made the most sense to me lay somewhere between the two.
    Babujai

Answer by Babujai at 1:48 AM on Nov. 7, 2008