My 10 month old refuses formula altogether all of a sudden I need help! I am so worried and stressed. Please please anyone have any advice for me?

I am desperate for solution. My 10 month old refuses to drink her formula for the past few weeks. I have tried everything!! Putting it in bottles, putting it in sippy cups, even tried adding cereal. I have tried using different formulas. She eats food just fine but its the formula the most important part of her nutrition that she wont take. I took her to the doctor for he latest check up and they said she is very underweight she is 27 inches and 16 lbs. They wanted me to start adding in some pediasure to her diet but she wont eat that either. I tried every flavor and I've tried mixing it with formula. Nothing works I don't know what to do. Does anyone have any advice? It's so frustrating because I cannot force her to eat it if she doesn't want to but she really needs it!! The doctor hasn't helped me at all she just tells me to keep trying and come back in a month so they can weigh her again. Please help me love a desperate worried mommy : (

Meahs_Mommy

Asked by Meahs_Mommy at 11:45 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If a baby is eatting too many solids and given other liquids baby will wean themselves from formula...cut out all carbs(cereal) and give formula before every solids meal, if you refuse she formula refuse the solids, solids lack the nutrition and calories she needs. When giving solids give solids that count far as fats and calories..give avacado for sure! Sweet potato and squash are high in iron and other nutrients baby is missing from not taking in enough formula.

Cows milk can and will make matters worse as cows mik before a year causes intestinal bleeding leading to anemia. Pastuerized cows milk(which is what you buy in stores) lacks all nutrition, it has NO iron, and only has calcium and protein, not much else.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:55 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My dr told me half formula half milk when she turned ten months. Hope that helps.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 11:49 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• my daughter was only a year old n she weighs 18lbs, try to start giving your daughter whole milk and see what happens it might be that she is ready for that
    angelbaby1323

Answer by angelbaby1323 at 11:51 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• WEll it sounds like the doctor hasn't given you any new advice. I would call them right away and get some answers. In the meantime, since your daughter is refusing formula I would try to do milk in the bottle with 1/2 formula. See if you can't get her to take that. I know they say no milk till they are a year, but sometimes you have to do what you can. If milk doesn't work then try soy.
    I hope you get answer soon. GOOD LUCK!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 11:53 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• You can also try goats milk. Babies like it, it is high in fat and is easier to digest for babies than cows milk.
    BabyBoyBlue

Answer by BabyBoyBlue at 1:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Strange. Did the doctors check her ears? maybe she has an ear infection? It can be painful to drink from a bottle or sippy with an ear infection. Just a thought.
    marie85

Answer by marie85 at 4:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I have not tried whole milk I will have to try that today and see if it works. I hope it does I'm so worried about her. Thanks for the advice.
    Meahs_Mommy

Comment by Meahs_Mommy (original poster) at 11:55 AM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Along with giving her whole milk, make sure she isn't getting any kind of juice. I don't know if you do, but she may be holding out for "the good stuff" My MIL gave my nephew juice very early, and now at 2 they can't get him to drink anything but juice and pop. My own kids on the other hand, didn't get anything but milk and water the first 18 months, and they have no problem with it.
    yestheirallmine

Answer by yestheirallmine at 12:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Just because she doesn't want it now doesn't mean that she won't want it again later. But for now I would just find something that she will drink, almond milk, soy milk, water, juice, and put Poly Vi Sol multivitamin supplement drops by Emfamil in whatever she will drink.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 12:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Be careful when you give her the whole milk. If she has an allergy for it, it can be dangerous. Don't give her a lot. Try it out first. The sign of the allergy shows after a day. If she shows reaction than stop giving her any more milk.
    You can give her water to drink and you can mix the formula with baby rice or baby porridge. And you can even mix the baby rice with her food pure. my 8 months old eat baby rice mixed with food. He loves it. You can't really tell the difference. Plain baby rice has no taste.
    Good luck. I wouldn't give milk to a baby under one year. But everyone is different. I hope it will work for you (I mean the baby rice mixed with formula):)
    adriennfaklya

Answer by adriennfaklya at 12:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2010