How soon to replace a family pet?

We had to put our beloved cat to sleep in September. We had her for 6yrs she had liver cancer. It was so hard to do!! How soon is to soon to not replace but introduce a new family member into the house? I would love to but feel like Im betraying her. Any suggestions?

michellesgirls2

Asked by michellesgirls2 at 11:58 AM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Pets

• I totally understand what you are feeling. We had to put our dog down 2 days after thanksgiving. She had cancer, it was so hard to do.

But I think since it was in September introducing a new pet as a Christmas present would be a nice idea.
    sue118

Answer by sue118 at 12:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It also depends on the family. While some might be ready others may not. Just use your judgement and go from there.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 12:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• There really is no right or wrong in this one. The best answer that I can give is to do it when You and your family feels ready. Everyone is differant in their grieving process so when to get a new pet is differant for everyone. I am truly sorry for your loss. I have lost 4 of my cats to differant forms of Cancer. That is very hard. I personally did not get another cat after I lost the fourth cat( about 7 years later) but I had other cats. The last cat I adopted was before we lost the first one and she is almost 10 years now (older when adopted). Dogs were differant I adopted my first two 2 and 3 months after losing my childhood dog 8 years ago. Then when we lost one of those two(he was almost a senior when adopted) we got our dog Beau not even a month later.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 12:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I'm sorry for your loss. I think after a certain amount of time true pet lovers get the feeling and they know it is the right time. It is a sort of longing that needs to be filled. The only caution I would suggest, if you are almost ready, is to wait until after the holidays which can be a really hectic time in a home. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Sorry to hear that your kitty passed away. I lost my dog last summer. I think it all depends on the timing. We got a puppy a few days after her death because the breeder we used just happened to have pups ready to go home. I believe for my family it was a gift. My Sadie as gracious as she was would have welcomed in the new puppy and would want us to be happy. We miss her so much and the new pup can never be a replacement. The new pup added to our family.
    Animals are good for us and bring us so much joy and happiness.
    tyme4me2day

Answer by tyme4me2day at 1:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I'm sorry for your loss. I think the right time depends on how you feel about it. We lost one our guinea pigs unexpectedly last summer- very sad, as she was young and we expected to have many more years with her. We did get another guinea pig pretty soon afterwards, for a variety of reasons- the big one was that it seemed to help the kids, and the second one was that our remaining guinea pig was lonely and we wanted to minimize the time between the loss and her getting a new friend (we do a quarantine period when we introduce a new pet.) We talked to the kids about how we are not 'replacing' the pet that we've lost... it's more of a tribute to them, that we loved them so much that we still want to share that love with another animal who needs it.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 4:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• There is no right time. You and your family have to do what feels right for you. I see that often families are "found" by their next pet when they weren't even looking. Everybody knows it is perfect ... Give it time and see what life brings you.
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 1:36 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Thanks everyone! All of your advice is appreciated and the family is considering a new pet but not sure when it will be. Happy new year all!!
    michellesgirls2

Comment by michellesgirls2 (original poster) at 11:17 AM on Jan. 4, 2011