How do handle a situation where your child is being bullied?

I read an article about so many kids being bullied and many of them commiting suicide. How would you handle a situation where your kids is bing bullied? What would you do if the school did nothing about it? Would you pull them out or teach them to deal with it, knowing that life can be this way? What if the parent of the student that is bullying your child is a unstable hot headed fire cracker who believes there child can do what they want?

Jenaiko01

Asked by Jenaiko01 at 12:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in

• I would tell my kid to stand up for himself and not let anyone ever bully him, but if that didn't work I would inquire to the principal and the school.

Answer by older at 12:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I would never expect another absent parent to be any better at supervising his/her kid than I was able to protect my kids when not present.

The school won't do anything about it because they can't. They're outnumbered, there is no way to get an accurate report of what actually happened, including ALL of the lead-up, and kids (and parents) lie routinely. It's a mare's nest and no one is paid enough to even care, much less try to sort it out.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• LindaClement I really have to disagree with you.

I think you need to talk to your kids, you need to know there friends, volunteering at the school can help you stay ahead and it also puts you in a position to know the teachers, principals and other staff. My DD has aspergers and while its been a battle because she is an easy target, Ive shut down severeal instances and will continue to do so until she graduates if need be.

If you have a child bullying your child you let the admin know immediately. Get as many details as you can from your child to relay to them. Ask that it be stopped. If it is not then you make an appt and you go to the school. Speak with the counselor, principal, whoever you need to and also email the teacher and let them know what is going on so maybe they can keep an eye out and diffuse problems. If it doesnt stop for whatever reason....cont
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 1:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• contact the superintendant. Make an appt, make sure you keep notes of all previous contact you have had with the school, phone calls day time and who you spoke with, in person meetings the same, emails you have sent.

It seems now they are actually starting to believe that this IS a real problem at the schools. Our school HAS a policy in the handbook but it was never really enforced until recently and they are now doing other training.

Obviously the steps above would depend on how severe the situation that took place is. Had a lil girl texting my daughter threatening to beat her up at school and i went straight to the principal first thing the next morning and put a stop to it.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 1:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• my niece is going thru this right now. some girl is bullying her and the bully's brother pushed my other niece so my sister went up to the school and would you believe the principal made if seem like he didn't want to handle it. like it was another chore to do for the day. i told her this is why children commit suicide or shoot up the schools. but the mother of the bullies won't come up to the school to handle her kids. which is complete bull.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I'll speak to the school and the kids parents
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 12:09 PM on Dec. 11, 2010