What do you think.....

I work in a very small administrative office, we do not see the public or even the employees that work for our company. We have a business dress code and every day I get up and as I get dressed think "why?" I think it is so dumb to have to dress up for a 4 person office when they don't have to deal with any public. Can anyone give me a reason for why this makes sense?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• I work in a freakin call center and I NEVER see the outside public..theres about 15 of us total on rotating shifts and were supposed to "dress up" friday is our whatever day we are allowed to wear denim, and saturday is the same! However some people in my office come in in PJ pants..and Im like seriously? Its still work!? IDK I wish dressy denim and flip flops was okay for this place. It sucks sitting at a desk 8-9 hours a day in uncomfy dress pants!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 12:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• In many people's minds, it's a demonstration of respect for co-workers and the job.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I suppose it helps keep professionalism in the office.

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 12:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• There is a theory that professional dress leads to professional behavior, and casual dress leads to casual behavior.

Answer by rkoloms at 12:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Its how the owner wishes you to dress..
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 12:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• No, I can see business casual so ppl don't show up in shorts with their cheeks hanging out lol. But business attire .. not really nakibg sense.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• there is a company that is a BIG company, there policy is that they can wear anything they want, the owner believes the more comfortable the employee is the more productive they are. They are allowed to wear shorts, sweatpants, flip flops etc whatever they like. It is a concept that I find interesting. I know that if I could come in and wear that kind of thing I would be more productive. When I am dressed up I am alittle uncomfortable and spend time "fixing" things with my clothes. Idk, like I said I find the concept of wear what you want interesting and see how it could work.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• and I agree with the fact that you have to be mature enough not to show up in shorts that your cheeks are hanging out. I am talking decent comfortable clothes.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Because you're in an office, not at home.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• The reason I usually hear is that dressing professionally puts you in a professional frame of mind.  I worked in a bank where the dress code was "professional," but I was in the marketing department sending out branch signage and flyers, sometimes working on a loading dock in a dress and heels! I'm now an admin in a "business casual" office. All the sales reps deal with clients over the phone exclusively, yet we can't wear jeans except for the very occasional Casual Friday. Business causal is very widely interpreted; we have people in skirts, ties, hoodies, track suits...

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 3:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2010