Don't ask, Don't tell -your thoughts?

Why are we spending governent money on this debate all the time? What is wrong with having a gay person fight for our country? Why is it an issue? I guess I don't see a problem with a gay person being open in the military, and that soldiers that have a problem with it should see that person as a brother/sister on the same side of the fight they are on? Am I missing something? Please give me your views for or against and no bashing of one another.

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 12:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I know it should not be an issue but it is because in the process they get shafted.

Answer by older at 12:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It shouldn't be an issue. Sad that we still have people that are this closed minded, in this day and age. It's OK that you can fight and die for our country, but don't let them know who you love.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 12:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Distraction.

As long as you're over here getting all heated up about this, you are not also looking at:

~ the watering of the currency
    ~ the economic decline as the tip of the iceberg when it comes to US financial instability
    ~ the tremendous government waste
    ~ the illegal activities of the FBI, the CIA, ATF, Homeland Security
    ~ the ever growing list of rights that have been removed
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 12:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• – collapse
    It is an issue because we have to share showers. My husband doesn't want to take a shower with a man who he knows is gay cause than he would be paranoid that the gay dude is checking out his dick and thinking dirty thoughts. Its a form of sexual harrasment almost.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 12:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• As a military person I don't have a problem with a gay person in the military. I don't think the guys do either, i think we would just prefer seperate showers for them.
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 12:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• it shouldn't be an issue. who exactly has the problem with it, civilians or straight soldiers? or both? its not like these homosexual men are going to rape straight soldiers. some people think just because he or she is gay, and im the same sex, they MUST be attracted to me. please, get over yourselves! and if its civilians, do you really care about the sexual preference of the men/women fighting for your freedom? and if its the government in general, people are not going to think any more or less of the military for openly allowing gay people in it.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Who cares if you're gay. If you are willing to sacrifice your life for your country why does if freakin matter! A gay man in the shower with a straight man doesn't mean he is going to jump you. That is totally ignorant.
    goldengrl65

Answer by goldengrl65 at 12:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• really @usdragonflies, now we should segregate the gay people from the straight people and make them shower at separate times or in separate quarters? should they ride in the back of the bus, too?
    Anonymous

• maybe the straight soldiers should shower separately, if they are the ones uncomfortable. give me a break!
    Anonymous

• uhhh...yeah! I was raped while in the military and had to coem home and get an abortion because the asshole also gave me chlymidia!!! Why would it be any different for gay people in the shower!
    I tell you what, why don't you go in t he shower with 12 other men and tell me how you feel about it afterwards! OMG this convo has made me so emotional I won't be returning. Try to put yourself in a soldiers shoe's before you bash there way of thinking! You going into a shower with alot of the opposite sex is the same as a gay person going in the shower with you!
    usdragonflies

Answer by usdragonflies at 12:34 PM on Dec. 10, 2010