short of tearing up the carpet how do u get rid of cat urine?

Moving into a new place and the back room I plan on using as my office is doused in cat urine. I have someone up there with a rug doctor but does anyone have any tips that I can do to go behind him? I cannot afford new carpet.

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 12:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Why not tear up the carpet? Did you check the flooring, is it hard wood? Cat urine is pretty potent and I don't believe anything is going to get rid of that smell, nor stain. I only have one suggestion and if it works, I am not sure.. but it does work for mold and mildew and it kills odors, etc... It's a product I buy at a janitorial service called "Active". I've used it to clean up the smell left over from flooding and have used it on dog urine in the past. You mix it will water, but for the cat urine, maybe you could try a little on full strength. I guess it's worth a shot.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I would try Nature's Miracle or another similar product
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I looked in the phone book for professional carpet cleaning that handled pet odors. I got lucky with the guys who came to clean our carpet. good luck
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• vinegar will take it out and kill the smell

noRedemption

Answer by noRedemption at 1:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Sorry, but the first humid day you have, the smell will present itself again. Even if you are able to clean the carpet, you'll be unable to clean whatever material is underneath. Tear out the carpet!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:18 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Its in the carpet pad so probably wont help to shampoo the carpet . After it dries you could try sprinkling baking soda on the carpet and leave it. Just let it settle all the way down. Cinnamon is a good way to kill odors so you could try putting candles in th room as well.
    megamamaw

Answer by megamamaw at 5:58 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• If you have a animal and they like to make a mess on the carpet, to get rid of the smell pour soda water on the stain put a towel (pref white) over the top and stamp on it for a couple of seconds... repeat it till the towel becomes clean...

i googled it
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:12 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• Look for a carpet shampoo made for animal stains....usually have enzyemes in them ....might find them in a pet supply store !
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 10:07 PM on Dec. 14, 2010

• cat urine hard to get rid of but they do sell some solution in the stores that are supposed to clean your carpet and get rid of the urine smell at the same time.
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 1:03 AM on Dec. 15, 2010