It's not American enough...

This is a bit of a vent, but a question as well.

I'm pregnant with my 3rd and final child, a boy. I plan on naming him Benicio, and my mom was telling me it's not American enough. I seriously just wanted to say 'American enough, do you realize what a melting pot the United States is?!?'. Seriously, in this day in age who the hell cares what origin a name has (unless it's something that's important to you and your SO, then I understand). But people name their kids all sorts of things, regardless of the origin or their ethnicity. Does it really matter? Unless you're like a super traditional couple, did the origin of the name have anything at all to do with your choosing (not the meaning of the name, just the origin)?

Nanixh

Asked by Nanixh at 12:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Baby Names

• LOL~! That's too funny. That leaves you with Bob, Joe, Bill, Frank, Mike....
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 12:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I did look at the meaning of my daughters name, but only b/c I was curious. I didn't really worry about what my family thought.
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 12:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My ex has a VERY italian last name. We intentionally did not give our son a blatantly italian first name (Vincent, Anthony, etc) because it sounded too ethnic.

Answer by missanc at 12:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• really at this point- name your son what ever you want! I don't think there is anything wrong with the name you've chosen, who cares, there isn't such a thing as "not american enough" people name there kids way crazier things... I would definetly use the name you have choosen it's cute and not plain (like my son jake)!
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Time out, rewind... what did she name you? How American is that? haha :)
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 12:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Hahah, kiansmom, my name is actually Jennifer. How unoriginal can you get. I had at LEAST 3 Jennifer's in each of my classes, kindergarten-college.
    Nanixh

Comment by Nanixh (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My children do not have American first names, although we have Anglicized our oldest's name just because it was easier for us. The only one who has any "problems" is our youngest. It's not because his name isn't American enough, it is that people think they hear something else. The name is Rami (awesome/amazing in Hebrew) and people assume it's Robby or Ronny, because it is what they are used to hearing.

To me Benicio is lovely. And ethnic without going stereotypical.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 12:49 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I think Benicio is a very elegant name, love it.

We just chose a name we liked for our son. Didn't care if it was popular, trendy, or had anything to do with our heritage.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My husbands name is Chris... He hates it. He hears his name 5-10 times a day and its usually not for him.
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 1:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I say name your child what you like. We named our son Jonah, because we both liked the name, and it's not EVERYWHERE right now (DH also wanted Jacob and Jack, both of which I like, but we know 231234 Jacobs and Jacks right now). There's nothing wrong with using ethnic names if you like them. There are women of all cultures named Maria, Natasha, and many other names that have a non-American origin (what name has an American origin, anyway??). Most of the names that "sound" American are actually Irish or Hebrew. Still international!
    This is YOUR child, and your mom will have to get over it! =) Benicio is a cute name! She can call him Benny if she wants it to sound American, how's that for a compromise?
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:19 PM on Dec. 10, 2010