Homeschooling Moms: Why?

Wondering what led you moms that home-school to want to do it. My daughter will be starting kindergarten in the fall of 2011 and I really can't stand the thought of sending her to a public school in our area (semi-urban area of Washington state). I also love the idea of being her teacher. I would almost feel lazy putting the job on someone else.
Any advice for a first year homeschooling mom? What were the early hoops you had to jump through?
I know this is a big question so feel free to private message me if you have any particularly helpful advice. Thanks so much :)

McErin48

Asked by McErin48 at 12:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• You'll need to check what the laws are regarding homeschooling in your area; here in Texas all we have to do is provide the school with a list of what we intend to teach over the course of the year. I'm a second-generation homeschooler, I wanted to do it because of the freedom it provides as far as the speed of learning is concerned. For the first year, I would recommend keeping a good schedule because children that age love routine and patterns. Read to and with your child a lot and encouage your child to verbalize her feelings about what the stories are about, point to the words as you read aloud and demonstrate how to "sound out" an unfamiliar word. Math can be simple counting and practicing how to write numbers. For writing, I would recommend the DeNealian workbooks. It's also imporant to listen to your child's interests and turn everyday experiences into teaching moments.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 12:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Homeschooling wasn't an option when I was raising kids. My youngest are graduating this year. So they were well into school when homeschooling became an option. However I wish I could have homeschooled at least my younger 2. Once my older 2 got out of school, schools started to change...A LOT. I don't care for the inconsistencies in our public schools. Here in TX even the grading system is not consistent throughout the state! I don't care for teachers who have the attitude of "here's the book, you do it" end of story. We've had WAY too many of those. I'm really tired of "cookie cutter" education. I applaude the parents who have the ability, stamina & discipline to homeschool their children. My sister tried to homeschool my neice but didn't have the discipline to maintain the curriculum and my niece was a year behind. This yr she tested into her normal grade in a pub school. I will cont in another response...
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I know parents who homeschool who have formed their own small community in their neighborhood. Each parent teaches the kids different subjects on different days. Homeschooling also requires you to involve your child in local youth programs such as soccer, baseball, gymnastics, etc to gain their PE credits. Look for a group of parents in your neighborhood that may homeshcool thier kids. Visit with them & ask questions. Educate yourself as well as your child.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• i grew up going to a private catholic school and i graduated a year before the other kids my age did so homeschooling and private schools are really the best avenue to go towards education for your child. they need that individual attention.
    brooklynohlordy

Answer by brooklynohlordy at 1:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I agree with PP ^^, first step is to check out the homeschooling laws for your state. We live in Oklahoma and only have to provide a letter of intent to the school district. For us, our older daughter was going into high school and was miserable. Drugs in the parking lot, sex in the bathrooms, and no one seems to care. Our younger daughter was in 5th grade and was learning very little and had 3 Sat. detentions in a month because the whole class got in trouble. She was advanced in math, but because of a state test score, was forced to come in before school and do extra work (or get an F on her report card).  We had put up with so much from this school system we had finally had enough.  Now the girls are learning so much more than they would in PS and aren't afraid or miserable because people are yelling at them all the time.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My child is in public school and I like it!! I thought about home schooling but it just wouldn't work out for my family! In public school they get to interact with a bunch of different children their age. I think it is also easier for her to make friends because she is subjected to people all the time outside of her family!! There are bad with both too!! I know the bad with public school is you don't know what those other kids are subjecting to your child or even them just being mean. Just another look!! Hope it helps!!
    2prettylittle1s

Answer by 2prettylittle1s at 1:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• 2pretty-this is why homeschooling parents are forming communities. Not only for the strengths in teaching, as each parent may be better at something than another, & for social reasons. This is also why the state requires involvement in community affairs. I'm not trying to argue or attack your response. Pls don't think that. I'm just pointing out that homeschooled kids are required by the state to be involved in their communtiy. I know a family here in S. Texas that not only have their kids involved in the local sports programs but also their local 4H chapter. So there are many ways for parents to get their kids socially involved. I would have loved the opportunity to "tailor" the social interaction of my kids rather than the kind they got in PS, which was HIGHLY negative even in the best of PS schools.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• In response to the previous two posts: I think a lot of parents get hung up on the idea of homeschoolers not getting the same school experience of being in a classroom with 30 kids born within a 12 moth range of each other. Not saying that it's bad but I really don't think it cheapens a kid's childhood by not being in that environment. I laugh to myself every time someone makes sure I know it's going to take some doing to make sure my kids participate in social things. Duh. I don't want to create socially odd kids.
    Not trying to offend anyone :)
    McErin48

Comment by McErin48 (original poster) at 1:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• We have our kids in different activities (though not required in our state) to give them a chance for the social interaction that everyone talks about with public school. As for socialization - in the grade school our kids attended, they were not allowed to "socialize" in class, in the hallways, in the lunch room (no talking allowed at all). They were given 15 minutes for recess each day (3rd-5th grade, younger kids get 30 minutes) and were told they had be be "up moving" for the duration of recess, not just standing/sitting around talking. The classroom teachers would tell them they could visit at recess, the recess teacher would tell them to "get out their energy" at recess. Our girls are actively involved with girl scouts, community theater and community volunteer work and we are looking into 4H. They socialize not only with kids their own age, but with a wide variety of people - just like the real world.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• OP-I hope you weren't offended or thinking I was telling you what you had to do. I was just explaining to the PS posters that HS kids actually do get social interaction. I'm like you, they think HS parents just hole up their kids in the home and never let them out. LOL.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 1:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2010