my 2 wks old have a lot of dandruff, what can I do to get rid of it?

I washed him every other day and comb him everyday, but he still have a lot of dandruff/dry skin. What can I do to get rid of it?

Amy2079

Asked by Amy2079 at 12:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• its probably cradle cap - try using vaseline and comb it out - or baby oil -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It's not dandruff, it's cradle cap and it goes away eventually. You won't even notice when it's all gone. It's completely normal.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 1:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It's called cradle cap. When my daughter had it I would massage olive oil into her scalp and massage it in with a damp baby washcloth.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 1:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Soak it with baby oil and comb it out...it is very nomal! It will slowly go away!!
    2prettylittle1s

Answer by 2prettylittle1s at 1:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Not dandruff, cradle cap, it comes from being floating in that liquid all those months.

Answer by older at 1:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• By combing your probably making his cradle cap worse. Just put baby lotion or baby oil on it after his bath and maybe put a baby cap on his head because the cool air will dry his skin more even if you haven't taken him outside and then leave it alone. It will go away and will probably be completely gone by the time he makes 2 months.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 1:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Olive oil is the most effective thing to use for cradle cap, but ultimately, he has to just outgrow it. Many many babies get this, and I promise, it bothers you more than it bothers him (or anyone else), which is always the case! Try not to pick at it or anything like that, just rub a dab of olive oil in it to help moisturize and move on. =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My baby's had the same thing an my mom washed their hair with head an shouders sampoo an washed it an after that wash she put baby oil on it an comb it out an that got rid of it
    quetta669

Answer by quetta669 at 1:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Cradle cap is caused by the sebatious glands in the scalp working overtime and pumping out this greasy/oily substance. The old skin cellls get caught in it and build up. My Pediatrician told me years ago the glands work overtime due to the surge of hormones that cross the placenta at the time surround birth. It is completely normal. Just be very gentle when combing or brushing. If the scalp becomes red and inflammed a bit of cortisone cream may be needed.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 1:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It could be cradle cap, don't wash their wash everyday it just drys it out more.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2010