Do you think that Preschool is necessary?

What is your take on going versus not going?

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 1:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Not at all.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 1:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I've been struggling with this question too. dh says yes, i say no lol
    bseastrand

Answer by bseastrand at 1:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It is not necessary but it will certainly give your kid an advantage over those who don't go. they learn to adjust to the disciplinary routine of school and learn to follow instructions. They socialize on their own and learn something new every day, it gets them ready emotionally and mentally for the task ahead.

Answer by older at 1:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I sent my daughter to 2 years of preschool and don't have one regret about doing so. Everything that 'older' mentioned is so true. I can't think of one negative thing about preschool. I guess my only gripe is that she picked up every bug/virus from her classmates but that's to be expected when a child is in a classroom.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I agree........not necessary, but very beneficial.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Not necessary. My son never went but he did go to daycare and I worked with him. They really don't need to know much before they go to kindergarten. He is much older now and is very well behaved and a good student.
    My daughter is now going and she loves it! She knows when her school days are and picks her outfit out! I don't think she learns much in there because she knows all of the basics. Also, she hasn't made any friends because she likes hanging out with the teachers, but she likes it so it's worth it.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 1:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Is it necessary? No. Can it benefit your child? yes. That said, both my kids went to preschool and both thrived.

Kindergarten in many districts is much more academically vigorous than ever. More programs are full-day (kindergarten). It's a lot for a 5 year old (or 6 yr old) to leap from nothing or Mom and Me classes...or even once a week independent sports/ art / music classes or library story time to going to school a full-day, 5 days a week. For many kids, those first several months of school are very difficult as they adjust not only to a new schedule, but also to a classroom setting like nothing they've really been exposed to in the past. For kids that went to preschool, it's a step-up to the next level, not a giant leap. For some that running start, so to speak, does carry through the rest of the year(s.) My two loved preschool. They absolutely got something out of it. If they didn't go would it have been bad? no.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 1:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• For the price, heck no. Especially with all of the free resources out there for me as a mother to teach them the basics that make up preschool. I agree that they aren't learning the art of sitting down and being hush for a teacher but I may not even go the public school route and they already behave for me. So for us, we aren't missing out on much at all. If I wasn't deciding to home-school we probably would have looked into a co-op preschool.
    McErin48

Answer by McErin48 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I do agree it is does give them a leg up that is good for them for many reasons... social skills being a big one.. I have a 3 yr old step son that has very little social skill and am very worried about him , so for me I would lean more towards yes... but I it is more to do with the child and the parents that determins the answer to that question
    outkast8817

Answer by outkast8817 at 3:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I think it's great for kids to go to pre-school. It's a good preparation for the real thing, how can that be bad.

zbee

Answer by zbee at 6:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2010