I'm so grossed out

My 10 month old puppy is in heat. I have never had a dog before and it has been two weeks so far. Her vulva is so swollen and it moves when she walks. I know that I of all people should not be grossed out by this since I am pregnant, but she is this little dog with a HUGE orangutan butt! Plus she is bleeding on my stuff but she refuses to let me diaper her or put anything on her for it. I just want it to be over so I can get her fixed (I wanted to do it before she even went into heat but BF's check has been lower than normal).

Am I wrong for not wanting her laying on me or even really near me? I think alot of it has to do with my hormones but I dunno. It just really grosses me out.

MammaMia72

Asked by MammaMia72 at 1:45 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Pets

• Nope, it isn't wrong. It is a gross time. It always disusted me too! I mean it's sort of a gross time for them!
    evilabbysmom

Answer by evilabbysmom at 11:56 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• well you know, it's like if you had your period and no tampons or pads or anything, just running around naked with nothing on to protect others or the furniture or anything--it would be gross. Just make sure you get her fixed or she will go into heat again and again till she gets bred, then it costs more to get her fixed when she's pregnant because they have to do an abortion too, and if you don't do that, you will have all the puppies to sell, give away or kill.
    Anonymous

• OMG... Anon 12:52... sell, give away, or kill?? eek!

Definitely get her fixed as soon as possible. Before her next heat... otherwise, you'll be paying extra because there's more blood down there when they are in heat and it's a little more complicated surgery... extra tying off, more chance of bleeding, etc.
    Nunyabiznes

Answer by Nunyabiznes at 3:05 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• force her to wear a diaper. your the dominant one. she atkes it off, grab duct tape and wrap it around the edge of the diaper so its tight, dont get her hair in it though, that would hurt her taking it off.
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:13 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• it's gross our boxer was in heat for like 3 wks which is normal but we have speck stains on our back patio she was not let in at all during her time. only at night in the laundry room.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 3:39 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i have a 1yr old jack russell, when she was about 5mths old, same exact thing as yours is going thru, it was really really gross, it lasted for about 2-21/2 wks, just wait it out and get fixed asap, if you cant pay for it, look into programs thru the county where you can get done free like i did,
    wonderpetsmom

Answer by wonderpetsmom at 3:42 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Check out your local humane society. You might qualify for low-income and be able to get her fixed at a discounted rate. In my county, you can get them fixed for $25 if you qualify...and you don't have to be dirt poor to qualify. Make sure to try and get it done before her next heat. It's not her fault and nothing she has any control over.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:12 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• my dog is currently on hers too. it gets better, she will actually clean it up herself which is really gross but at least you dont have to do it. although the swollen vulva does take awhile to go away. i used a pair of my underware with a pantyliner in it, it is not as uncomfortable for her, try that and good luck!
    Kennadismom

Answer by Kennadismom at 7:46 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• it is important to have as little amount of heat cycles as possible. For every 1 time in heat it is a 10% more likely chance to get mammary cancer......which is way worse than the blood. As soon as the menstrating stops get her fixed or you will find yourself putting it off until the next heat cycle. For now I would just leave her outside or buy a good carpet and upholstry cleaner.
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 8:27 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• When I was a little kid, my Mom cut a tail hole in my old underwear and put that on the dog. It looked hilarious, but she didn't seem to mind! Maybe it's more comfortable than the doggie diapers...
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 1:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2008