401k or Roth?

which would you do and why.

sue118

Asked by sue118 at 1:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• I personally think Roth is better for you in the long run, or over a long period of time. Also I believe if you needed to touch your retirement money there is less of a penalty with the Roth.
    bellsandheels

Answer by bellsandheels at 1:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Does your company match your 401K contributions? If so, then go with that.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I have a Roth IRA. I can only add 5k/month, which is going to get me nowhere slowly, but it's better than nothing. If I had a job I would go with a 401K, especially if the company matched my contributions.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 1:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Most companies offer contribution matches on the 401K's, so I would start there and then if you still have additional money to invest you could also open up an IRA. I would start with the 401K though.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:39 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It depends upon your work situation and your income level. If your company puts money into your 401K, then that's an obvious choice over a Roth. There are different limits to how much you can put in each. You need to investigate the fees associated with each one, too. It's not really an either-or question.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I'd invest up to the match with the 401K and then I'd switch to a Roth. There is an annual contribution limit of $5000 a year for the Roth. So if you manage to max that out, then I'd go back to the 401k.

Good question =)
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2010