when is a good time to have ur child stop sucking their thumb? And how?

honey_bear_2787

Asked by honey_bear_2787 at 1:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When they are ready to stop. It is a comfort and soothing thing and will stop when they are ready.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• When I had my son, my mother told me to push the pacifier in the beginning and not let him get into the habit of thumb-sucking, figuring the pacifier was easier to lose than the thumb. I would remove his thumb from his mouth when you see it happening and try introducing another comfort technique. Good Luck!
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 1:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• she acutally has both but at night its the thumb she wraps her blankey in her had and then places it somehow between her thumb and her nose and wont sleep unless it is like that
    honey_bear_2787

Comment by honey_bear_2787 (original poster) at 1:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My son was the same way. He would put his fingers through the tags on his stuffed animals, or his clothes, and rub that on his upper lip as he sucked his thumb. He is now 4, and my mom is the one I credit with getting him to stop. He went to her house for a visit, and she talked with him about how she quit smoking, and how hard that was for her. Then she gave him some tips about quitting bad habits, and he hasn't sucked his thumb since.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 2:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• The sooner the better!!! Distraction is the best. Get rid of the pacifier during the day and maybe she will get over needed anything to suck on.
    MommysAngels810

Answer by MommysAngels810 at 4:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I have to agree with "when they are ready".
    JZ10FPM

Answer by JZ10FPM at 1:38 AM on Dec. 11, 2010