how does the Chicago prison/jail situation make you feel ....

about the pregnant women being cuffed and sometimes even in shackles during labor & delivery? There's a big old lawsuit going on about it now. I frankly don't care if she's a drunk driver, terrorist, or a jay walker. There's always the chance she's innocent and/or even awaiting trial and the thought of pushing a baby out without the use of my hands or opportunity to change positions, get up, etc makes me sick to my tummy. I hope their lawsuits all go well.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 1:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• i can understand maybe cuffing one hand to the bedpost...but not all 4.
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 1:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• As a public school employee- I can tell you any time there is a story like this that defies logic- there is usually another side to it that can not be told due to privacy. The "truth" usually comes out in court. Its easy to get sympathy with only one side of the story out there- you can even twist facts. I am not sure that is what is going on with this story- but I am usually wary of these types of stories.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 1:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I agree with souyousay...I think you are reading the salacious version of the story---the draws you in and tugs at your heartstrings. You know that every story has nuggets of truth embedded within--just how much truth is there, we may never be privy to. But I'll bet the HANDFUL of instances where the woman was completely cuffed and shackled, the guards had good reason--maybe she posed physical threats to the doctors--maybe she was going to have her baby taken away from her, and they didn't want to deal with an altercation following the birth, etc.

I have a hard time sympathizing with women who get themselves into this level of trouble while PREGNANT! hey obviously weren't thinking about the best interests of their baby when they did whatever they were doing to land them in prison!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• That is beyond BS. I hope the prison is forced to pay out a shit load of money.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• You know.....there are some really mean women in jail. They may be shackled, but as I understand it, they are not the type of cuffs they are arrested with. They can move with freedom. They just can't attack the nurse, the doctor, or the orderly. If a woman doesn't want this type of restriction and wants to have her child like the rest of us, she needs to not break the law. Sorry. This is one of the consequences of not obeying the law to the point of being put in prison. Are you as concerned about the child who will be taken from his/her mom to be raised by someone else? The mom surely didn't concider the child when she was out being a criminal.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2010