Positive for spina bifida....so scared right now!

I had my 17 week blook work done where they test for downs syndrome, spina bifida, etc. Well they called me last night and said we tested positive for spina bifida. They have now scheduled us with a high risk pregnancy doctor for an ultrasound.

She did say that my markers were so low that a notch lower and I would not have gotten a call. She said that in the 6 years that she has been in that office they have never had a true case of spina bifida but always have false positives.

Has anyone else gotten this? I am so worried now...I cried all night.

BlandBaby

Asked by BlandBaby at 1:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I was going to say it's probably a false positive. My brother was positive for it when my mother was carrying him and the ultrasound showed he may have it. He came out perfectly normal. I wouldnt freak just yet. Just calm down and wait for the ultrasound.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• hugsFirst take a deep breath!  There are a lot of people that get this false positive!  Hopefully it is you!  A friend of mine did too and that baby was just fine!  Positive thoughs and prayers going out to you

rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 1:53 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• OK breathe. Spina Bifida is scary yes, but it is also fixable. Besides they said it themselves "six years of FALSE positives." Worry about it only if it comes up true. You are just adding unnecessary stress to yourself. (( HUGS))
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 2:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• dont stress yourself out too too much about this- like your doc office said is that there isnt even any cases in their office that were really true. That test gives a really high false positive rate....its ok mommy!!
    rbailey2414

Answer by rbailey2414 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My last baby tested positive for downs but she was born perfectly fine. Don't worry false positives are very common.
    Kimberlya83

Answer by Kimberlya83 at 4:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2010