If your child has committed...How do you heal? adult content

Has your child ever tried to hurt themselves or committed suicide how do you heal from that? I was reading an article about children committing suicide after being bullied. I could never imagine, my son is only 1 but thinking about when he gets older I dont know how I would deal with that. Did you ever blame yourself? Was it shocking or was their signs or depression? I know it's a sad subject, my sister tried to commit suicide years ago and it really hurt my parents.

Jenaiko01

Asked by Jenaiko01 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• I had a friend from my entire life, who committed suicide in our 3 year of college. Never would have guessed it, it was truely shocking to everyone. He was highly intelligent, an amazing golfer....and one day he went home, got one of his dad's rifles and went to the unisversity and shot himself in the building his ex was having class in. She was also a friend of my entire life and a sorority sister. She wasn't the reason he did it, but she was the reason he chose that building....can't even imagine.
    I also had a cousin who was in his late 30s also take his life 2 years ago. We believe he was gay and just couldn't come to terms with it. Many ladies wanted to date him over the years and he just never seriously dated anyone. It was very hard on his parents and more immediate family.
    I couldn't imagine either.
    Anonymous

• IDK. But, when I was in the 3rd grade my parents found a paper I had been writing that I wanted to die. That I never wish I had never been born. Over, and over and over. I was in the 3rd grade. Not from being bullied though. There was other things going on, lots of things, and I was, I was just left with not a lot of attention. There just wasn't much left for me to get. So, I wanted to die.
    I know it hurt them, IDK how much. Or if it really phased them because there was so much other shit going on that maybe they kinda forgot. I got shoved into therapy, which did me not good for various reasons.
    I would think that how a family gets through a suicide, or an attempted suicide, would depend so much on different variables. Was it a shock? How was the relationship? How is the relationship between the parents? It's a horrifying thing to think about as a parent. I worry about it myself, with my middle son. We talk about it.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I can answer this one.. I am a grieving mom right now. I lost my 23 yr old son 4 weeks ago today. He lived back home where i am from, not far from his dad and step mom.. My son was feeling like he was not the man he should be, said that everything something good happens to him, trouble always follows.. He felt like a failure in his life.. his dad and step mom were not help to him. They were so blind in not seeing what was going on with him. his dad never thought anything was really wrong with him. I knew he was having troubles from the postings he would leave on Facebook... then he would just say everything is " OK"... a girl hurt him... so he took his life.. It is real hard having to bury your own child.. Yes i feel like alot of this is my fault... I think and cry all the time.. " If only i would have" is what goes on in my mind. It is killing me inside.. Please... talk to your kids more and always tell them you love them.
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 2:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• He's been bullied for a few years. He says suicide would hurt, and he doesn't want that. And he knows it would destroy us. I just hope to keep these lines of communication open, though I know that doesn't always work.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 2:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Airforce3mom, I'm so sorry.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 2:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I will never forget that night w hen i go the phone call.. My life turned upside down.. my husband had to peel the phone from my hand... He touched a lot of peoples hearts and lives... but it took one person to turn his life upside down..
    Airforce3mom

Answer by Airforce3mom at 2:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Wow Airforce3mom, I wish I could go through my computer and give you a big hug. It's so recent and so much pain you must be in. I could never imagine. I'm so so sorry for your loss. I guess it is the worst thing for a parent to lose a child.

Jenaiko01

Comment by Jenaiko01 (original poster) at 2:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I wonder how the young lady responsed to his death.
    Jenaiko01

Comment by Jenaiko01 (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Airforce3mom ... I am so sorry. My son died two years ago ... terminal illness. He was 22. No parent should ever have to bury their child, no matter what the child's age. 

Hugs to anyone who has lost a child. This is a club I do not want to be in, nor do I want to see new members. 

hugs

SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• well you can teach your child how to be assertive - if you are lost there - you can buy programs to work with them... that is the key to not being bullied... as for sucide.. that is a whole 'nother topic... i think that has more to do with how you view teh world and yourself... i have been depressed (because one of my children died of a genetic condition = 23 days old :( but i would never consider sucide.. never!~ so dont think all depressed people wanna kill themselves.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2010