Pot for children

The doctors are giving my DS pill after pill and he's only getting worse. He has severe anxiety and aggression that prevents him from staying in school. It seems like the only people that tolerate him is his immediate family. The dr said if this last pill starts keeping him up and decreases his appetite, we can add Ambien and a blood pressure patch. The pills are narcotics.

I looked into Medical Marijuana and here in California, you can get it for a kid if a dr prescribes it. My family thinks that is a horrible idea. My mom says, "No way, that is a gateway drug! It will kill his brain cells!" I asked her if legal Speed is a better idea. She told me to stop talking crazy.

Maybe I am talking crazy. The teachers, the day care providers, the drs, the behavior, it's all making me crazy. I'm desperate.

** Yes he is in therapy. He loves his therapist.

***Also, medical marijuana for kids is only available in pill form and edible. Kids cannot smoke it and I wouldn't dare do it either. The smoke it what burns the lungs.

***I've exhausted the other options (dyes, only protein, natural pills like Vaxxa). He's been like this since...I can remember. Even as an infant I knew and everyone could tell he was different.

The other day he threw himself against the walls and floor, growling and screaming "I want to die." I'm desperate to help my DS.

***His dx is severe ADHD and anxiety. It may be PTSD.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:53 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• You should try it. It is an option, maybe it will work!!! You just never know. Good luck.
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• narcotics I wouldn't do.... they'll add constipation, further appetite issues, and tolerance issues will require more and more as time goes by

pot, though I would consider. It's done good things for autism, adhd, etc
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 1:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• They make medical pot in edibles if you do choose to go that route. They have chocolate bars that my husband actually eats for his knee pain. I refuse to live with a pot smoker but a pot eater is easier to handle.
    Anyways, as against pot as I am, I do see that is helps out a lot for people in pain and in situations like your child. Look more into it, and good luck.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 1:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Hmmm... I don't really know. I do know that pot doesn't actually kill brain cells. I don't agree with medicating him with all that other crap, but not sure if pot is a good idea. Have you tried therapy?
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 1:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• u have to remember medical pot is grown carefully, and made special. it's not chronic from a street corner
    hibbingmom

• I think if we were at that point, you might be onto something. I assume he's seen some behavioral therapists? There are other approaches than pills, but I imagine you've exhausted many of them.
    If you decide to go the pot route, smoking it is not good for him. Try making brownies, tea, butter, or even getting pills. He can get lung problems from smoking.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Not sure on the whole pot thing for kids....lol

Anyway....considering the major problems you are having have you tried a very restrictive diet to see if it helps?
    No dyes, no wheat, no gluten? Alot of folks I know that have problem kiddos says this makes a major difference.

I think before I went the pot route, that would be a good attempt to find a possible solution without going the illegal drug route.
    Sandyr911

Answer by Sandyr911 at 1:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I don't see the difference with this and any other drug your doctor prescribes - if it works for your child, then that's all that matters.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• it usually comes in the form of a pill, so as long as you dont tell him what kind it is then he wouldnt know! If it would help him then I dont see the harm in asking. There are a lot of drugs that are manmade that are horrible!
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 2:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Narcotics are way worse than the pot. I'm not sure in CA if they give it in another form than smoking it???? But I have heard enough that when it is medicinal it is "regulated". I don't think it's a "gateway drug" either, it's the envrinment people hang out in that puts the in those situations to be around and experiement with harder drugs. I truely don't believe smoking pot makes one start coke for instance. It's just highly correlated because of so many other factors JMO And I have a degree in substance abuse. Pot is also better for your body than alcohol. It's all political and financial as to why it is illegal here. The best you can do is try it, at least it doesn't have as many side effects than all those pills. And you knwo what, you don't even have to tell people. What you choose for your home and your family is your business. It's only between you and the dr.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 2:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2010