Chronic Cough?

My 4 year old son has had this chronic cough. It's been coming and going for about two months now. Some days are far worse than others, and some times he'll go a week with out coughing at all. It gets worse if he gets too active (running and playing with his brother), but he's not wheezing or having any trouble breathing or catching his breath. Right now it's really bad, almost constant since he woke up this morning. I just gave him some Mucinex for kids, and a cough drop. In a little bit I'm going to fix him some hot tea with honey. It's not a deep cough, mostly just a throaty cough. He also just started with a runny nose (he can't really blow his nose that well yet, and it's dripping down into his throat) and I think that is what is making the cough so bad today. Is there anything else I can do to alleviate this cough for him.

FYI: we don't have health insurance and money is extremely tight right now, so I would like to treat this at home if possible. But in a day or two, if it hasn't gotten any better, we will be seeing a doctor.

Thanks for any help/advice!!

my2.5boys

Asked by my2.5boys at 1:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Kids' Health

• It could be something in the house (this time of year is common for mold, depending on where you are), or it could be asthma. Either way, it's worth looking for a doctor that charges on a sliding scale, or seeing if there's a state program for kids for health insurance. He really should be seen for this.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Try vacummimg your carpet, mopping the floors and cleaning your windows especially because mold/mildew can start accumulating. When he goes to sleep try putting an additional pillow there. I find a humidifier works really well for colds and coughs especially at night so they can rest. Otherwise look up family clinics and ask about sliding scale fees or ask if you can qualify for sliding scale fees or medi-cal or some other program.
    istealcookies

Answer by istealcookies at 2:34 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It could be asthma but like musicpisces said above it could be something your house. And with you saying he has a runny nose now it sounds more like an allergy problem. You could maybe try some benadryl.
    Mipsy

Answer by Mipsy at 7:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I agree on cleaning really well and a humidifier, see if you can get a nebulizer or inhaler.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 7:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It could be allergies or asthma.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:47 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• My son went through that when he was 4. It seemed like his cough lasted FOREVER. He did develop some pneumonia due to all the coughing. Antibiotics helped with that. Turns out, he has a lot of allergies that lead to asthmatic symptoms, but he does not have asthma. His doc put him on a nebulizer treatment and the cough went away in a matter of days. We still have the machine and meds for when the cough comes back. Allergies suck. I don't know of any home treatments, sorry.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:52 PM on Dec. 13, 2010

• use a humidifier and maybe some vicks
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:11 AM on Dec. 14, 2010