Do you know a parent like this?

My dd's bff mom is this controlling nut case. I dont care how she runs her house or her kids, but she is starting to make comments about our family. Our girls are in a school program together and the mom is the booster pres and Im the secretary. So we see each other at functions and fund raisers. She comes across as so nice and then she makes these comments. For example, dd just got glassses, She wanted glasses forever and was so excited. She came to me the other day wanting contacts now cause the mom told her contacts would look better. Its just over everything now, she has hurt my feelings on numerous occasions b/c dd talks to her dd and her dd tells her stuff about us. How would you handle this? I know I only gave a few examples, but i have to spend 3 hrs with her tomorrow am in front of a store for a fundraiser and Im ready to pull my hair out. Thanks for helping me...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:01 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Relationships

• Ugh that sounds so annoying! Does she ever try and gossip about other people with you? I feel like that would be a good opportunity to let her know that kind of stuff is crap and you don't participate. If that isn't as much the case I would bring up the most recent thing that has bothered you and tactfully tell her it hurts yours and/or your daughters feelings. You might also try having a talk with your daughter to let her know there are some things that don't get talked about outside your home & if she has stuff she needs to chat about let her know YOU are there for her (not that other crazy wench!)
    McErin48

Answer by McErin48 at 2:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• YEP, I do. Can't hardly bite my tongue anymore, either.
    I'd have to say SOMETHING! GOOD LUCK. HUGS.*
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 2:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• This is what I would honestly do... If they are just little things, I would let it go. If it was getting bad and she was upsetting my child, I would smile at her at say "I know you're talking bullshit about my family, please cut the crap." That's it. Usually people like this are not confronted and don't know what to do if they are.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 2:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Can you confront her about it.She sounds ignorant but maybe if you tell her you're bothered by her comments then she might let up. I dont know some people just aren't tactful.

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 2:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• maybe if she plays like she is super nice... then make snarky comments to her in a really nice tone... seee if she gets upset. if she does - jump on that teachable moment - tell her she does that all the time- you set her up to get mad to prove that her tactic is upsetting. if you dont wanna do that - just tell her - "hey when my dd talks to you, dont tell her she needs anything or anything is wrong with her or our family ---- i would REAlly appreciate you doing that - THANKS!! "
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I always kill them with kindness!
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 6:35 PM on Dec. 10, 2010