Would you be upset too ?

My brother and his wife asked me and my daughter ( who is 20) to go on vacation with them... They were going for their anniversary and wanted to take the kids... and basically we were to go to babysit while they went on a date ...

Well we got home yesterday after 5 days there.... my daughter and I only got 2 days to ourselves and the rest we were stuck with their kids...

I feel used, because when we talked I assumed they were just going to be alone for 1 night... I thought this was going to be a fun vacation for me... I already raised my child and my idea of a vacation isnt watching 5 year old twins while thier parents go out on the town...

On the way home his wife kept bugging me because I was being quite so I finally told her that I didnt expect to be stuck with the kids the whole time.... and she told me to quit pouting becuase they paid for us to go as babysitters ! ...... this is definatly the last time I do anything for them !

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I would be upset to. I mean you had to babysit their kids which to me is not right and just cause they paid does not mean a thing.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 2:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Wait, they paid for it all for both you and your daughter?
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 2:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• yes they paid for us... because we were to watch the kids... but i thought we would only have to watch them for one night - not 3
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Well, you live you learn. You got 2 days off with your daughter and, while it sucked, you had to watch their kids the rest of the time... I would just NOT go again with them.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 2:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Well they paid for you to go, plus it was their anniversary, i'd say suck it up.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 2:27 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I don't think it's that big of a deal. You got a two day paid vacation. You should have clarified the amount of days you would be watching them brfore you went if it's that big of a deal. No point in holding on to your disappointment and ruining y'all's relationship.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 2:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• if they paid for you then I think that it might just have been miscommunication. Personally the ONLY way that I ever would pay for someone elses vacation would be if they were going to help out with the kids. I think before you get too upset it would be better to just sit down with them and talk about what happened-there is no sense in letting it ruin a relationship.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• No I would not be upset. You got a paid vacation. 2 days is a pretty good deal for free. I think if they paid for yout go they had the right to have you watch them every second of every day but they were nicer than that and let you have 2 days off. I don't see any room for complain and i don't think that you were used at all.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:37 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• If sounds like there was a lack of communication when planning the vacation. Ideally the 4 of you should have sat down and made out a vacation 'game plan' so you knew ahead of time who was going to do what and who would have the kids. I think since they did pay for the trip, and since you did have 2 days to yourself you really should accept that it is over and done with put it behind you and move on. Do not let it ruin the relationship. Use it as a learning lesson and next time they suggest a vacation get everything spelled out up front.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I don't know. My husband and I paid for my sister's honeymoon since she was broke after the wedding. They also brought their kids, so we drove 3 hours to where they were, to stay with her kids one night while they went out. I think your arrangement was pretty nice and wouldn't be complaining.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2010