Anything else besides pain pills to help cope with the pain of ovarian cysts?

I have PCOS really bad. I have no insurance and could really go for some vicodin seeing as I am having a horrible outbreak of cysts. What can I do to get through this?

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Health

• heating pad might help..it helped me some when I had them.....I've never taken narcotics for the pain...
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I have needed pain meds. I double over, and my right ovary has grown 3-4 times it's normal size because of cysts.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 2:11 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Mmhm. I think they gave me percocets. Gosh, I don't know.. I heard the pain pills was the only thing.
    Take a tylenol PM and go to sleep. Lord honey, I have no idea . I hope you feel better. I have been there.

Bump
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 2:15 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• OMG...When I was 19 months pregnant I had an ovarian cyst and I thought I was having a miscarriage, that's how bad it was. I had no insurance at the time either but I thought I was going to die so I went to the emergency room anyway and they removed it. I don't know how your dealing. I still prefer giving birth again rather then having a cyst. Alcohol is the only suggestion I can give to ease the pain and I'm talking about orally. Also I go your message, it was great...lol!

Jenaiko01

Answer by Jenaiko01 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My heart goes out to you. I had surgery yesterday and had the rt ovary and both tubes removed. Covered in cysts!! I suffered for two years. Luckily I do have insurance. If your tummy can handle it take 6oo to 800 mg of Motrin with some toast and milk. lay with your feet propped up on a pillow and try a heating pad. I hope they resolve soon. If the pain becomes sharp or piercing you will need to go to the hospital. That is a sign that the ovary or tube has twisted on itself and that is really bad news.
    babyboyzz

Answer by babyboyzz at 2:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I want a hysterectomy soooo bad! I have had surgery to have them removed before, and they just come back.
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 2:33 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I am so sorry that you have to go through this. I hate to say it, but from my personal experience there is not really anything at home or over the counter that can help with the pain. The only @ home remedy I would use was alternating between Tylenol and IBU (Motrin). I would do IBU and then four hours later I would do the Tylenol, I would continue with that through out the day. Just make sure not to go over the daily limit and not to take anything else with acetaminophen or Motrin in it. Also, many people always suggest a heating pad but I would always alternate between cold pack and heating pad. I would always start with cold pack because heat can lead to more swelling. A lot of people including doctors and nurses always suggest taking a warm bath also. Take it from someone who knows though, do NOT take a bath! Showers are ok but if you take a bath it can cause infection, especially if your cysts are breaking.
    Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 4:47 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Now, for insurance help; I’m not sure where you’re located but have you tried a state program? I will be the first to say that a state program can be tricky to get, I have been at war with my program so much that I have even had to get my Governor involved. They will eat you alive but there are things you can use to get them to help you, if you need more help or advice on that let me know. Many people believe the fastest way to get state help is by going to the ER, which it can be done that way; but only if your lucky enough to get an ER doc to demand that you need immediate medical care or surgery. Again, I’m not sure where you’re located but for me in the state of Arizona this was not as easy as people say. There have been multiple times for me when I would be rushed in for emergency, life or death surgery and my state programs would still argue and refuse to help me pay.
    Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 4:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I will say that the fastest way for you to get pain relief is probably to go to an ER. No matter what anybody say’s they do HAVE to see everybody that walks through there doors. Once your there you probably will be nagged by a billing rep demanding some type of down payment. Some of them are known for trying to scare you or demand a deposit from you. As long as you are not at a “privately owned” hospital, you do not have to give them anything while you are there. Simply tell them you have nothing on you, explain you do not have insurance and most of the time they can actually get your state insurance application started there. You do need to check your local hospitals though, because if they are a “private” hospital they can exam you & if they decide your prognosis is not an emergency, then they do have the right to ask for a deposit before treating you.
    Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 4:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• The only other advice I can give you is, to make sure you and only you are in control of your health care and to always demand that you receive the care that you are entitled to. I personally with through hell & torture because I allowed my doctor’s, state help and even my friends & family to decide what was best for me. I eventually realized that none of them had my care & true outcome on their minds. Nobody can understand what you’re feeling or how bad your pain is, except you; and nobody knows your body better than you. So if you feel something is wrong, then something is wrong and you deserve treatment and care. If you need any help or advice regarding anything please feel free to contact me. I have so much info & personal experience that I’ll be glad to share with you, if needed.
    Hope4Teal

Answer by Hope4Teal at 4:53 PM on Dec. 10, 2010