Discipline Help

Has anyone read any great books on discipline with ideas that are easy to implement for kiddos age 3-5? I have a 3 year old who seems to be escalating out of control. Everything we've tried seems to be the wrong approach with her. She is a huge attention-seeker. Every response we give seems to reinforce the negative behaviors. We've tried excessive praise and it seems to work for a short period, but then wear off. Just wanting to have a better relationship with my 3 1/2 year old spirited daughter. Thanks!

jennyd76

Asked by jennyd76 at 2:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Becky Bailey...Easy to Love Difficult to Discipline She's got a ton of books. Here's a link to her website

http://www.consciousdiscipline.com/

UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Dr. James Dobson. Leading child psycologist. His books were a huge help when mine were that age.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 2:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• No offense, but I thought Dobson's books were crap. Not that I like him in general (he should focus on his own damned family and stop focusing on everyone else's), but I most definitely would not take that attitude when disciplining my child.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• "1-2-3 Magic" as well as "Parenting with Love & Logic" are pretty helpful.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 4:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• i have a 31/2 yeard old who is a bit mouthy for her age, no mateer what we say to her she has a response for me, no matter how we disipline her she still gives us lip and attitude. i spoke with her teacher and she said that our child behaves all the time?? shocked us and usually kids will do/say certain things to parents that they won't to others. her tearcher said she will grow out of it and we hope. is your dd this way all the time? is she in pre-school, being around other children helps, allows them to deveople there own personality, character,. she'll proably grow out of it, when my dd act's up we just carry on and not give that any attention eventually she'll stop ofcourse don't alway's work and not for long. well good luck i hope they both grow out of it, she's about to drive me crazy LOL.
    mememommie

Answer by mememommie at 2:09 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Positive Discipline for Preschoolers is an excelent book and I got a lot of help and good parenting ideas from it. I highly recomend it.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 12:33 PM on Dec. 14, 2010