My husband and I are going through a divorce. We each got 50% custody. My lawyer's office is closed. and I really need to know what 5-2 day custody is. Has anyone had this type of custody assigned to them and if so what does the 5-2 days custody entail?

Bogi

Asked by Bogi at 1:11 AM on Jul. 6, 2008 in About CafeMom

• Look it up online, you can probably find it there somewhere, but as a guess I would assume it means, five weekdays, 2 weekend days. Maybe it switches on and off. You get the kids five weekdays, then he gets the weekend and the next five weekdays, then you switch. Essentially you each get them for seven whole days in a row.
    LostTheSlipper

Answer by LostTheSlipper at 1:21 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Legal term is share custody. If you google it, it will tell you 4 days and 3 nights, 3 days and 2 nights, in other words 60/40, not really 50%. If you are going to be the primary caregiver, you will keep the child 60% of the time.

However, there are a lot of more way to do this kind of share custody. Yet, if you both can agree on it, the judge will decide.

I keep the children monday- friday, they go with their dad or grandparents friday night till Monday morning (grandparents drop them off at school). It is the every week schedule. Grandparents also keep them on holidays. We have very good communication, so we adjust our schedule if anyone needs extra day or weekend.
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• If you both can't agree *
    yoshiki56

Answer by yoshiki56 at 5:31 AM on Jul. 6, 2008

• Here's an example of 5-2 day custody. Mom gets them on all Monday and Tuesday's, Dad gets them all Wednesday and Thursday's. Alternate every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. So, you are switching between having them either 2 days that week or 5 days that week. Each parent will have them a total of 7 days for a 2 week time period.
    MistyDC29

Answer by MistyDC29 at 9:23 AM on Jul. 6, 2008