Do you have guns in your house with young kids? IMPORTANT!

Every day it seems I read of horrific accidents with young children and guns. I am not afraid of them, but I do not want them in my house with my 17 month old. DH has a 22 that his father gave him; I want it gone!!!! He will not compromise (gun cabinets , no bullets, saftety locks, etc).

Am I being overly paranoid as he says? How can I dispose of this gun without him finding out?

I am really scared that she will find it! What can I do, other than reason with him?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:08 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Relationships

• Well, I use to do the same thing you are doing. I was afraid of guns because my father died in our home to a gunshot to the head, and it was accidental. So this situation really hit home, what with us having two toddlers. However I have came around with compromise. My husband is to lock his in the boxes that they are in and put them in the closet where the children can not get too them. He needs to compromise with you because little kids will not know what they are messing with if they do get it. He needs to take responsibilty as a father over being a gun owner, and think about his baby. You really need to tell him how you feel, because your feelings and compromising as parents should go before fighting over "Well I want it" "Well you can't have it" nonsense. Good Luck to you
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Ya, you're being overly paranoid. If he has it in a locked gun cabinet and the bullets are kept elsewhere then there's nothing to worry about. Your 17 month old doesn't have the mental capability to find the gun, get it out of the cabinet, get the bullets, load the gun, take the safety off, and shoot it. And when your child is old enough to understand that, teach them gun safety.

BTW - I know that if my husband ever sold or got rid of something that my parents gave me, his ass would be out of this house. The same goes for the 2 firearms he owns which he received from his brother and grandma. I would NEVER get rid of them. That's so dishonest.
    melamommy24

Answer by melamommy24 at 2:14 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Why ? Why is he opposed to gun safety? Is he in a power struggle with you over this issue? Lay down the law....either it gets a lock or it's gone. Period. This is not a negotiable matter.

I have an entire journal devoted to this subject...please look it up. A child that I grew up with shot and killed his brother... guns and children are a dangerous combination.

MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 2:18 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• We do but I live in Alaska, we cling t our guns..... This is the first question I ask before before my kids go to any ones house: do they have guns, are the in a gun cabinet, bullets are not with the gun, etc. I have seen a lot of bad thing happen with kids AND GUNS. You have to be a responsible gun owner. Tell his even Alaskan men secure their guns especially with little ones. They do not know a lot f times if it is real or fake. JMO

thewife1

Answer by thewife1 at 2:20 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I agree. If the guns are secure, Not loaded, safety on, locked away, then your child should be fine. If you are vigilant when we is a little older and teach him properly, there will not be any problems. It is not guns who hurt people, it is people who are not properly trained with guns.

AaronsMom79

Answer by AaronsMom79 at 2:21 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Yes you are being paranoid.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 2:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I also want to add that with children in the house, the parents should take a gun safety class WITH the child so that no only the children know who to respect the weapon, but all of the adults do as well.

For instance, your DH having the gun may respect the weapon, but you being afraid of it, do not and in turn your child MAY not.. It is important to be able to teach safety and respect for the weapon.
    AaronsMom79

Answer by AaronsMom79 at 2:25 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• PLEASE READ MY QUESTION! I AM NOT AFRIAD OF GUNS. HE STORES IT IN AN UNLOCKED CLOSET, LOADED AND NOT ON SAFETY.

My parents owened guns and kept them unlocked while I was growing up and I never touched them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Law down the law, he gets a lock box or whatever for it or you get rid of it. No questions, he says no, you take it and dispose of it, no sneaking about either if he wants to be pissed tell him you're preventing the injury or even death of your kid because he wanted to be stupid and selfish.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 2:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• lay down the law...* i hate typos.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 2:31 AM on Nov. 7, 2008