Aren't there certain requirements to become a foster parent??

I was listening to the radio today on my way to my daughter's school and there was this woman who was asking for hand outs, as in food, clothes, Christmas presents, ect. She is apparently a foster parent and has 2 children in her care at the moment. She says she can hardly afford to eat most weeks much less buy Christmas gifts for the 2 children. The radio station ended up giving her a $300 gift card for groceries and $500 gift card for Christmas shopping. Don't get me wrong, I think EVERY child deserves to have food on the table and experience the joy of opening gifts on Christmas day.. but if your struggling SO badly how are you able to become a foster parent in the first place?? This is something that she signed up for willingly. I just felt that maybe there was another family out there that was a tad bit more deserving. Let me go ahead and apologize ahead of time if I have offended anyone. There's always a few that get so upset about things.. SO IM SORRY

Ctink8189

Asked by Ctink8189 at 2:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Holidays

• I think they really need to do more checking of your finances before you can become a foster parent.
    I would not feel right taking in a child and not being able to give them everything they need.
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 3:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• There are requirements however I don't think they look at finances as much as they probably should. There are so many kids in need of a loving home and such a shortage of good foster parents that some things that should be considered probably arent. Something else too may be that when she first started being a FP she didn't have money concerns but with the econ the way it is most of us are struggling. She could have just felt it would be wrong to send the kids back just because she's having money trouble. After all I wouldn't give my boys up just because things were tight.
    2murphyboys

Answer by 2murphyboys at 2:48 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Well seeing as I was in the Foster care system for a number of years the only way you can get a Foster child or Foster children is if you have a safe loving home and a clean background at least those were the requirements when I was in the system no one realizes how many children are in Foster care the sad thing is a lot of people absolutely refuse to take preteens and teenagers so a lot of kids don't get into homes so they don't get to experience anything what happens to the unwanted ones I don't know luckily people wanted me
    lonemom1987

Answer by lonemom1987 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Maybe she lost her job after she got the foster children and don't want to "give them back" to the foster agency?
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 2:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I'd rather have a poor person care for a child than no one at all.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 2:44 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• If thre isn't I guess there should be...most states compensate for food and what not...not enough, but some. Then the other thing thst coes to mindi foster children get free school lunch so thats a savings to...
    Anonymous

• Well they do a background check. Also the state gives her extra money for each child she has in her care.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Don't you get paid also for foster care? Why didn't she use that money.
    Anonymous

• well i thought the state gave you money to support foster kids - not adopted kids but fosters.. but i really dont know. and alot of the time they will give fam a chance to foster their kids in their family before they go to a stranger - in that case - like my neice or nephew - i would take them without being able to afford it so they didnt have to go somewhere strange and possibly dangerous. i bet that lady was just a scam artist.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I call BS in her story, she would be receiving money from the state for fostering (if I understand it correctly but I could be wrong) and yes you do have to meet certain requirements to be a foster parent. I think she is just greedy and looking for free hand outs and found a sob story that works for her.
    Gnomeofmyheart

Answer by Gnomeofmyheart at 2:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2010