Is there anyone else out there that doesn't believe in Santa or Jesus or really any other reason for Christmas?

I don't believe lying to children to convince them that mythical beings (of any kind) are real is a good idea. We have no intentions of encouraging the idea that Santa is real.

What have you taught your kids about it? And at what age did you start actually addressing the subject?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:51 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 11:57 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Here we go again. That is your choice to tell them Santa isn't real. It is my choice to let them be kids and believe there is a Santa, tooth fairy or Easter bunny for that matter.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Of course this coming from someone hiding behind the anon. button.

arenad

Answer by arenad at 3:09 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Jesus and Santa are myths and not real. I celebrate the original reason for the season--the Winter Solstice. Winter is a time of darkness and cold and the need for something to cheer people up is paramount. The harvest has been successfully brought in. All the animals have been slaughtered so they won't need to be fed and kept for the duration of the winter. And the days will begin to be longer and the vital, life-giving sun will return to rule the day. There is no work to be done, save trying to stay warm until the advent of spring. That's as good a reason as any to party. And if you have SAD as I do, it can be essential.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 8:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I have never lied to my children about Santa, and yet they still believe he is real. The presents they find under our tree simply say who they are for, not who they are from. They just assume all the presents come from Santa. When they ask me questions about Santa, my response is always What do you think? I neither confirm nor deny their assumptions. It is not my place to interpret the world for my children. It is only my place to be here to guide them in figuring out how to interpret the world for themselves.

The same is true for god/Jesus. My children know I do not believe in god, however I have never told them what to believe.

Our reason for the season, is simply to celebrate the love and support of our family and friends.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 12:14 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• We do not. We have never told our children that there was a santa, easter bunny, tooth fairy.... We do celebrate family and have certain times of year we call "family celebration day" We dont need a special "Holiday to celebrate' We give each other small gifts and enjoy family time , games, and great conversation. I was raised the same and dont fell like I missed out on anything. I had a loving family and lots of fun. In my opinion Christmas has become noting but a way for retailers to make more money. The commercialism is overwhelming and I have many friends that are stressed and spend money they dont have.
    voni681

Answer by voni681 at 3:05 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• your sitting here bashing every one that lets their kids believe in Jesus and Santa, that doesn't make them a bad person or parent! To each their own!
    mom2eas

Answer by mom2eas at 3:10 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• We DID do Santa. The way we approached the whole thing was that Santa brought only 1 or 2 gifts for each of the kids and was always left unwrapped with a big bow. We played up the whole cookis and milk and putting out reindeer food and whatnot.
    When the kids were at a point where they asked if he was real or said he wasn't, I told tham that of course he is! That he isn't real in the way they had thought before, but that he (or his spirit) lives in ALL of us when we give to others, or help others, or just by showing kindness. They took it VERY well, and we STILL do Santa gifts and my kids are 17 and 14 now. They love it :)

I think it is sad that people see it as "lying" It can be very magical and fun.
    I think it's the approach more than anything...
    It was not sad for me when I realised he wasn't real and it wasn't for my kids either
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 8:24 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• Congratulations, arenad, for being the first one to be able to prove that you can't read. The question was NOT asking if I SHOULD tell them.

Oh, and great job teaching them not to trust you ("If mom lies about the simple stuff, what ELSE is she lying about?") and that lying is ok ("well, if mom can lie about Santa, I can lie about ____").
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• When I was 4 or 5 I had this traumatic experience where a man broke into our home, just me and my mom, my mom called her brother, and told him as we hid in a bathroom, and my uncle removed the guy at gun point and did whatever he did afterward. So the idea of Santa Sneaking into people's houses weirded me out so I stayed up so I can catch this "creep" yah the creep was my dad. LOL

But what I plan on doing, since Santa is everywhere this time of year, is when my son is old enough to ask if he is real I am going to explain that he's not but we all play make-believe, or imagination, that he is real, so he can play along too.

Me and my hubby decided that was the route we are going to take. That way he can have fun as long as he has a kid imagination, instead of having his dreams stomped on by some kid that lets the cat out of the bag.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 3:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2010