What do you do when you can't afford gifts for the people you love?

I know people in my family are going to give me gifts but I can't afford to get anything other than gifts for my husband and kids. I feel guilty because I can't give and that's what these times are about.

Averylee85

Asked by Averylee85 at 2:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Holidays

• Tell them that money is tight this year and give them something homemade, like a tin of cookies. MOST people are tight on money this year and they will probably be relieved that they can go cheaper as well. These times are not about how much money we spend, contrary to what the stores and the TV tell us, but about family and love and God.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 2:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I tell my family from the get go, the only presents are going to be for my kids. If they still decide to get me gifts it is their decision. I still feel bad, but atleast they aren't expecting anything in return.

arenad

Answer by arenad at 2:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• i bought christmas containers frm the dollar tree and put candy in them.
    bekkaboo89

Answer by bekkaboo89 at 3:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• To save $, my husband and I never swap gifts. We have a standing tradition that the next month (tax return!) we do a special date night or weekend away w/ a gift swap then. We'd much rather the $$$ go towards the kids and our parents

Try and plan something you CAN give. A very artsy and sentimental coupon book (good for 2 lawn mowings next summer, good for dog sitting on your next vacation) or bake them a homemade pie
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 3:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• This is what I do, because I cant afford to get everyone gifts. With my aunts and their kids, or anyone else that I really cant afford, but dont want to look rude. I print off some pictures of them and their family. If you have facebook...this is a great way to do it. You print some out..and you print them out using cvs or walgreens. Then you go out and buy a cheap picture frame that holds a few pictures. There really not expensive if you look around. This is a cheap gift, its really nice...because its coming from the heart, and you can give this as a family gift, rather than buying them all something seperate.
    bellamommyof4

Answer by bellamommyof4 at 3:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Make them! I don't like spending so much on everyone so I bake 10-15 different Christmas treats and divide them out on (cheap) Christmas plates or platters. I have also made Soup in a jar (you can google it for TONS of recipes), DH's grandma's favorite gift ever was the Snowman soup (hot Chocolate) in a jar. This year we are making ornaments (my kids hands, letting kids make their own), letting the kids paint them, adding a picture and wrapping them nice with homemade wrapping paper. Everyone seems to like the gifts and we've never done it because of money I love the look in my DH grandpa's eyes when we give him that plate of cookies (He looks forward to it every year!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 3:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I would say thank you and apologize for not being able to reciprocate.

Your friends and family will understand.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• the times arent about giving gifts... but about "giving" you can GIVE w/o spending a penny. write them all cards saying how much they each mean to you. that will cost nothing, but mean a LOT. if you have a LITTLE money to spend, make a big batch of cookies, or buckeyes, or candies and pass them out to everyone.. very small.. but also very nice. You give your heart.. people will appriciate that more than a 20 dollar present.
    mohme2three

Answer by mohme2three at 3:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I bake every year for my extended family. I can't send gifts to everyone but I can always bake cookies and make fudge and share! They enjoy it and it makes me feel good to give a little sweet to the ones I love.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 3:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Years ago we would draw names. That way everyone bought just 1 gift and got 1 gift. It was fun !
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 3:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2010