please tell me this is just a phase

:(
My son has been moody for like 2 weeks straight. He even freaks out and refuses to leave the house, even if the words "playground", "playdate" or "let's go see daddy at work" are involved. He wont let me put on his sweater, he wants to watch Thomas and friends movies all day, today I dragged him out of the house to go to the park and when it was time to go he bit my shoulder and pulled my hair. I told him he is mad but it was time to go and he growled at me and gave me the most evil look. He's beenr efusing naps. I had to put back on the doorknob cover to keep him in his room. What happened to my sweet boy? he'll be 3 in april by the way. He is still behind in speech but he is getting better at it

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 3:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DH is 31 and all he wants to do is watch TV...

Seriously though...do you guys have a good routine down? Transitions, moving from one activity to the next, are really difficult for toddlers but keeping a routine can be really helpful.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• yes I try!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Hmmmm....

Does he get enough physical activity and plenty of sleep? You mentioned that he was refusing naps...

It really sounds like it's the transitions that are causing a problem. Do you give him plans & warnings? For example: After breakfast we'll play with toys for a little while then we'll go to the park...it's almost time to put our toys away so we can go to the park...let's get our coats on an go play at the park then we'll come home and have lunch and then it will be naptime...

My DS was the same way around the same age, like someone zapped all the sweetness out of him. I think we both just had a rough time adjusting to his new found independence. If it makes you feel any better he's 4 1/2 now and as sweet as pie :)
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:45 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I'll try to follow a stricter routine! thanks! maybe that will help. I dont think anything has really changed but I'll try that approach better
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 3:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My daughter is 2 1/2 and is going through the same thing. The worst mood swings that I have ever seen!!! Just give it time and work through it. Just keep doing what you are doing and stick to a schedule. Good luck, you'll get through it!
    MommysAngels810

Answer by MommysAngels810 at 4:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My 3 yr old daughter has been throwing a fit every time we go somewhere, crying that she wants to wear her pajamas and doesn't want to go! I am chalking it up to wintertime and terrible 3's (3 really is harder than 2)! She used to love going places everyday. I'm guessing it's just a phase.
    AnnabellesMama

Answer by AnnabellesMama at 5:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2010