Did Moses really part the Red Sea?

or was it more like parting a bottle of red wine in that tale?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• There are scholars who believe the evidence suggests the exodus never happened, even rabbis who admit it may not have happened (though I'd have to hunt for the link). But its not about whether it happened or how it happened, its about the message behind the story, what we can take from it. Most of the Bible isn't meant to be taken literally, but is meant to point beyond the words on the page to a transcendent kind of truth that isn't tied to literal historical events.....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I believe.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 3:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I think it was low tide.
    Anonymous

• God did it, not Moses. Read the story again.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Yes He did and SWasson... it's impossible isnt it? That is called a Miracle and God can do the impossible anytime after all He created everyhing on this earth Himself. :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I tend to think that it probably was a morality tale rather than a historical one. For one thing, consider the pain in the butt the Israelites made of themselves, always complaining. Now, would YOU ignore a man who had just parted a giant sea?? If I had seen that, Moses would have been Numero Uno to ME. Would YOU make a golden idol knowing the god who did that miracle (as well as the pillar of fire and of smoke) was even in the area?? I sure wouldn't want to take that chance. I may have the memory span of a goldfish, but I don't have the attention span of a two-year-old and I would remember all that big stuff. The reaction of the Israelites pretty much tells me that Moses may have exaggerated his exploits in having a scribe write them down and that the exodus was lot more boring than he was letting on.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 8:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Moses was freeing God's people. When they came upon the Red Sea God parted the sea "through" Moses so his people could reach the other side. The sea was then closed and many of the Pharaoh's people were drowned. This is just one of the Miracles God performed. I bet if any of the Pharaoh's people didn't believe in God, they sure did after that...lol

Conley639

Answer by Conley639 at 5:41 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Mistranslation, it was not the red sea at all... it was a small tributary off of the dead sea. *sigh*
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Snewo...that would mean it would have been passable for their persuers, as well. They could have always abandoned the chariots and persued on horseback or foot.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 5:49 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• It was god. he use Moses to do is work.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 11:36 AM on Dec. 11, 2010