help on potty training

my 3 yr doesn't understand very well since he doesn't talk yet

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• this may sound odd, but i bought a book and i read it to him all the time witch it came with a chart and stickers, but something else helpped me for halloween my parents gave each child a piggy bank and my 3 yr old he would try to find change and he thinks its neat putting money in the piggy bank but what hit me was use the piggy bank as a reward with some change and it worked it only took me 3 days i am so happy
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Check with your local school, see if they have an early learning center that can help. Also try www.chartjungle.com for charts.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i did the sticker chart too..candy bribbing it workd buh not a good idea...me and my son race to the bathroom to see who will pee first...kids like to win
    thelook151

Answer by thelook151 at 3:26 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• When I was training my 3 yr old I let him run around the house naked from the waist down. I tried training pants and he'd just use them like diapers. This way I could see if he had to go. We only had once pee accident where I saw him going and surprised him that made him stop, grabbed his hand and we ran to the toilet. After he went, lots of praise, hugs, clapping and a sticker chart. He picked up on it really quick.

Poop on the other hand is a different story. After he had mastered the peeing (BTW at first the only way he'd pee was by sitting on the toilet with out a kid seat) he pooped in the toilet and was very scared by it. After that he started holding it and becoming constipated. I had to speak with his pediatrician who gave us a script for a stool softener. After one day and one really gross accident, he got it.

It takes lots of time and lots and LOTS of patience.
    LilLegs

Answer by LilLegs at 4:09 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Hmmm....pardon me for asking this but have you asked your doctor why he doesn't talk yet and he's 3 years old? Every kid is different. Just ask your pediatrician.
    mommaforobama

Answer by mommaforobama at 2:32 AM on Nov. 8, 2008