My mom thinks I should stay on food stamps...

By law in my county anyone who is a full-time student, in college, can get food stamps, maybe even whole state. But you have to either be working 20+ hours or have a kid that depends on you.

Well I fall under the FT student + kid category. I have receive a good amount of money, it almost covers my whole month, and is a great help.

I am moving to a more expensive university, in the same state, and I am taking out a loan to cover half of my rent, misc supplies, and misc food. I am cutting my FS at the same time. My mom says I should stay on it, but I really just want to rough it with out them, I have 2 more years until I get my math degree, and I should find a descent job in this area, great job outlook here.

Your opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• Quite honestly it scares me that you're thinking of taking out student loans to pay for food. If you have to go into debt to put food on the table that is not a good thing. That and student loans don't go away, they aren't bankrupt-able, you have to pay them back even if you don't have a job, a degree, or your child is sick and you need to stay home.

I think it's great that you want to get off food stamps! I really do! But it doesn't sound like you're ready. Two more years and you'll be done with school. If you can't earn more money between now and then I'd stay on food stamps. But don't go into debt to buy food and don't take out more student loans than is absolutely necessary.

You'll be on your own two feet in no time! Hang in there!
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 5:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I would keep the food stamps, simply so I could provide better for my kids. You need them for a limited time, which is what they are meant for. Don't make things harder on yourself than they have to be.

Answer by missanc at 3:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• My opinion? Keep them! I would much rather them go to a single mom working on her education to better herself than some lazy ass sitting at home doing absolutely nothing. That is what they are there for, to help you =) So i'd take it for as long as you can while your still in school.
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 4:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Keep them. You will be paying interest on those loans, so you're going to end up "roughing it" even more than you think you are, so keep the help. It will make it easier for you to pay off those loans once you graduate.
    evwsquared

Answer by evwsquared at 4:06 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I would keep them. They are to help you til you get on your feet. It only irritates when people abuse the system. If it will be hard on you, keep it like it is.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 4:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Keeping them sounds more logical, I just don't want to be dependent on them forever, KWIM?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:08 PM on Dec. 10, 2010