My daughter will be 5 in March.. & hasnt been to preschool..

Shes had medical issues, & ive always felt more comfortable keeping her here w/ me until we get them all figured out.. shes had plenty of surgeries(and its on her bowel) so itd be a big deal if she missed the potty at school.. thigns are FINALLY getting settled, and repaired.. and she will be able to start kindergarten this coming year!! SO happy for her.. im a stay at home mom, so we are always working on writing & things to get her prepared since shes never had the chance to go to preschool...

What are some more things I should work w/ her on before she starts after the summer?
She can spell her name, she can write her name, she knows her street that she lives on, she knows her mommy and daddys names & occupations, she knows she has a different last name than her daddy(not biological father) She knows to call 911, she recognized the correct letters and numbers for the most part............and more..... but what else should kindergarteners know when they are sent?? I dont want to leave anything out and mess her up!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• She sounds like she's good to go!
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 3:54 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• shapes,colors,2 and 3 letter words(recognize and read) alphabet,count to 10,recognize numbers to 20

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• yes, knows all her colors, her alphabet, shapes, can count to 23... Thanks!!! ill have to work on her being able to read 3 letter words.. we read books.. but I cant say that shed know a lot of 3 letter words so thank you!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:56 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Go to Kidzone.com. There are tons of great stuff for preschoolers to do.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• when my daughter went for her kindergarten interview..they had her write her 1st name..sing the alphabet song..teacher pointed to certain letters, and dd had to tell her what they were..she had to count from 1-10..she had coloured markers..and dd had to tell her all the different colours..and then she had a pattern of circles and triangles..and had to say which one went next...verrrry easy..if ya wanna work with her up until school starts this is a great website with free printable worksheets!!!

http://www.tlsbooks.com/preschoolworksheets.htm
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• why not home school?
    MELRN

Answer by MELRN at 4:02 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I remember seeing online once the different expectations for each grade. And today I Googled "kindergarten expectations" and there were several links just like I had seen before. Google it and you can read several. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• alexis 06 nailed it. She should also learn to pattern, sequence, order, basics of reading, write all letters upper and lower case, write numbers,etc.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 4:46 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• She sounds ready. My oldest didn't even know all that after a year of preschool and excelled in Kindergarten (reading at a 2nd grade level by the end of the year). My son never went to preschool and did fine in kindergarten, too. My youngest daughter went to preschool at 3 but isn't going this year at 4 and will turn 5 in April and start kindergarten in the fall and knows all of that stuff. She was totally ready to start kindergarten this year but was too young.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 7:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Does your daughter have little friends that she interacts with too? That socialization be a good thing for her along with all the other things. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:27 AM on Dec. 11, 2010