I don't hit my daughter but she hits me, when to stop?

I have never hit my daughter, never even raised my hand to her, but when I tell her not to do something, or when she doesn't want me to do something, she gets angry and hits me in the face. She is 15 months old. I intend to never hit her, but how/when do I start letting her know that hitting mommy is unacceptable?

gottalovemal

Asked by gottalovemal at 4:17 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• She won't just realize it. You have to teach her it isn't by being consistent disciplining her whenever she does it.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 4:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Children at this age a lot of time do not know how to expess themselves and striking you gets your attention and her feeling sent. She needs to be shown better ways to express herself. Talking with her and start teaching her how you would like her to express anger, fear, sadness, and such.
    daisysrdeadly

Answer by daisysrdeadly at 4:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• you should be teaching her now that its not ok. when she hits you get down to her level and say firmly no hitting that hurts. we dont hit. you can try a short 1 min time out after you tell her no hitting but shes kind of young so she may not stay in a time out. but you just have to be consistent. my 19month old does the same thing we tell him NO HITTING in a stern voice then he must sit in time out for a min. he understands time out means he has to stay put so he does stay but he didnt at first.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• my son loves to bite me and hit me. I dont believe in the "do it back" discipline. I just grab his hand (as it's in motion lol) and sternly tell him it hurt me and we don't hit/bite. If we are home he is sent to his room. if we are out we leave and go to the car (the drive usually calms him down). ds will be 3 in april. Today I've had one of those days. I took him to the park, he didnt want to leave, he threw a screaming fit on the ground and as I put him in the car he grabbed my glasses, threw them to the ground, bit my shoulder and pulled my hair. NICE! Such a nice boy today :( I am terrified that one day he will throw my glasses off and someone will step on them. I cant afford contacts right now and I dont want to get them just because of him.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:22 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Start teaching her now! My daughter is 14 months and in a hitting phase. I don't hit her back but I stop her in motion and tell her "No! That hurts Mama!" Then I walk away. She usually cries and I come back after about 10 seconds.
    Mom_to_Skyler

Answer by Mom_to_Skyler at 4:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Teach her, because otherwise she will not just "realize" it.

As she swings at you, take her hand in yours and say, "No, that hurts. We don't hit." Repeat, as necessary. Time out may be required.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:38 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Now you teach her. Don't wait. Act shocked when she does it. And talk loudly to give her a start.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 6:54 PM on Dec. 12, 2010