Was she out of line?

So me and my sister were having a discussion about the nurse who took care of me while I was in labor. While being admitted into the hospital I had a lot of paperwork to sign and a lot of questions to answer. Anyways she was asking the basic questions they normally ask you, but my sister took offense when we got to the questions about PA. The nurse asked me if I was on W.I.C. I told her no. She kinda of look at me in shock. She then ask was I on Medicad and I told her no. She ask me why and I told her me and my hubby makes to much money. She started jumping up and down ( she really started jumping) and clapping her hand. She said that the women that come through there is usually on some kind of PA and it was very rare for someone to have insurance and buy their own formula. My sister thinks she was being rude and racist and she had no business saying the things she did. I on the other hand take it as a compliment. Do you think the nurse was out of line?

nicjon

Asked by nicjon at 4:21 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Money & Work

• How could that be possible?

Most people who have babies aren't on PA and do have insurance.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Theres nothing wrong with her feeling that way but I think it was a little immature to talk about it (and act like that) to a patient.
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 4:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• she was surely unprofessional, whether she was complimenting you or not. her job isn't to praise you (or shun others who are on pa) , its to take care of you & your baby's health needs.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 4:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• You can make quite a bit of money to be on W.I.C.
    I think what she said was really none of her business and kinda weird & rude,
    WTH does she care if someone does W.I.C?
    It saved me over 150.00 a month on formula, and we got to do it for a whole year before we were over income.
    DH is making too much now, but it was a lifesaver!
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 4:28 PM on Dec. 10, 2010