Am I a bad mother because I am giving my son the herb Melatonin to get him to sleep?

kenzie_trentmom

Asked by kenzie_trentmom at 4:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in General Parenting

• You aren't a bad mother per say but you should make sure to run it by your pediatrician. It can cause headaches, nausea, depression, nightmares and vivid dreams, irritability, abdominal cramps and dizziness. It is a hormone that occurs naturally in the body so if your son already produces enough giving him more can be harmful. I have to take it because my body doesn't naturally produce enough melatonin but I would exhaust every other resource before putting my children on it.
    TaraK.

Answer by TaraK. at 4:29 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• i dont think your a bad mother as long as you have talk with your dr about giving him this. it does have side affects if given to much of it. so be carefull.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• First of all Melatonin is NOT an herb. It's a supplement and those are two very, very different things. Another thing, the body naturally makes Melatonin and when you start bringing it in synthetically from an outside source the body slows down it's own production and when you need it naturally again, it's not there. Stop the Melatonin ASAP. This should only be taken once in a while and by adults only. Now, with that said...try one of these actual herbs...Lobelia, Red Clover or a Hops/Valerian mix. If you want an herbal tea recipe, send me an email and I will give you one that will put him out with no side effects whatsoever. And no, your not a bad mom...just a little misinformed.
    ShouldHaveLeft

Answer by ShouldHaveLeft at 4:36 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• His Pediatrician recommended it because he was not sleeping at night at all and was destroying my house. I was very afraid he was going to hurt himself. I have tried all kinds of things before the melatonin, that was my last resort.
    kenzie_trentmom

Comment by kenzie_trentmom (original poster) at 4:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Melatonin has been a lifesaver in my home. DS,11, DR recommended it when he was younger and he still takes it when he just can't get to sleep.
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 5:43 PM on Dec. 10, 2010