How do I tell my 3 yr old there is no such thing as monsters?

Ok so my 3 yr old son refuses to sleep in his bed because he will tell me " mommy somebody scared me" when I ask who he says "the monsters". How do I settle his fear of monsters so he will sleep in his bed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:18 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• ask him where they are... make it a game and pretend to fight the monsters...just a suggestion
    thelook151

Answer by thelook151 at 3:22 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Seriously? You can't. You cannot fight an unfounded fear. Your child isn't stupid, he knows there are no monsters, yet he is still afraid. It is a natural fear of the dark and unknown. Perhaps leaving the light on will help. We sleep with the lights on here occasionally. I also allowed my kids to sleep in my bed or on a pallet on the floor next to my bed. That way if they woke, I reached down, patted them and they went back to sleep. We made the pallet up during the light of day and talked about it so the kids knew what to do and they wouldn't wake me.
    Good luck. Let us know how things turn out.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 3:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• let him watch monsters Inc. It sounds silly but it might help. Tell him that's how monsters work and he has nothing to be afraid of. Or maybe try the more conventional method. Go on a monster hunt , call the police on the monsters? LOL I'm just suggesting things that worked with my 2-1/2 year old daughter. But when all else fails, a night light almost always helps. Good luck with your little one.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:32 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I put a fishtank in my girls room and they have two fish- BlackJack and regular Jack (nemed after my husbands love of cards). ANyways the girls seem to feel that the fish watch them at night and keep them safe. Works out very well.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 5:24 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My daughter was afraid of the "aliens". I wrapped a can of air freshener. At night before bed, I toook her into her room and sprayed around the windows, under the bed, in the closets and anywhere else she wanted me to. It worked for me. Try some monster spray.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 6:10 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• We used to make monster spray and then we would spray it before the kids would go to bed. We also used to yell at the monster and check under the bed, in the closet and anywhere else my kids could think of.

The used to sleep with flash lights and a night light as well. All of my kids also have dream catchers and dream jars. If you would like more information on either send me a message.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 7:13 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• "Now I lay me down to sleep. I pray the Lord my soul to keep. ANGELS WATCH ME THRU THE NIGHT, UNTIL i WAKE IN MORNING LIGHT". This prayer brings comfort to all of my children. I don't think you can talk him out of monsters. Just say clean rooms, the dog, and most importantly, you as parent will keep him safe and protected. Always worked for us! (Then again, we employ the family bed. And when they grow out of ours, they move in w/ siblings.--I don't see the need to sleep alone, and it does eventually happen naturally).
    onlycathyo

Answer by onlycathyo at 7:29 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Thanks for all the responses. Im going to try a couple of these ideas.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:29 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I got my daughter a mood necklace --- since the pendant changed colors it was easy for her to believe it was magic.... she wears it all the time and I've told her that the necklace makes a bubble around whereever she is that monsters, ghosts, snakes-- whatever she's afraid of-- can't get through.
    EmmysMom113

Answer by EmmysMom113 at 7:45 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My son says the exact same thing, and yes he knows there are no monsters but it doesn't stop him from being afraid anyway! It is a phase that all three year olds go through. They start learning about fear and their imagination starts growing by leaps and bounds, once they turn 4 they will ususally calm down a bit.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:51 AM on Nov. 7, 2008