for or against and why?

moms who go out every weekend. provided they have a babysitter, wait til after they put their kids to bed, have the means to do this financially, and are home before their kid(s) wake(s) up. does it make a difference whether she spends these nights sober or drunk (if drunk, provided she doesn't drive herself home).

just curious

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:07 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I can't see doing that every weekend. And to be honest, I highly doubt it works out perfectly every time with the sitter, kids waking up in the middle of the night wanting mom only she is not there because she is out partying, not to mention being sober enough to get up with them in the morning. Going out once in while is fine, maybe even set days but by the time kids are in the picture, going out every weekend is too much, IMO.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 5:12 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Very against. There's no reason for this. What if the kid got really sick or hurt and ended up in the ER? She's shows up drunk? Nice....

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:13 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Why is it ok for husbands to go out, but the mothers are supposed to be in the house all the time doing nothing. She didn't say that she was definitely drinking. She said drunk OR sober. I used to go to my friends house every friday night when my daughter's grandparents would take her to spend the night......they're choice. Just because I'm a mother, I should have stayed home all alone doing nothing? I had all Saturday morning to do housework, what's wrong with hanging out Friday night? They haven't taken her in a while, but MIL was in Florida for a month and just got back and now they're decorating for Christmas. However, if they would have picked her up this afternoon, I would have went to my friend's house to hang out.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I think that by the time you are a Mom, your partying days , going out with the girls, should be over and done with.
    Going to a function with your husband of course ( a business dinner party,for example) is a different thing and is normal.
    I think if you still have to go out every weekend,you are immature.AND, from what you say OP, it s a woman going out without a husband or SO, and you are suggesting "Drunk or sober" which is also a bad sign. Too immature and careless.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I feel like a mom's partying days should be over but I don't feel strongly enough about it to judge mom's that do party. Especially if they are as responsible as you described. I would feel uncomfortable if I partied all the time and missed out on bedtimes. I want to be there if my daughter wakes up from a nightmare waaaaay more than I want to go out and drink or whatever.
    McErin48

Answer by McErin48 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• When a MAN is a Father, he should be old enough and mature enough to not even want to go out for drinks with the GUYS. NEITHER Mom or Dad should be acting "single"....they need to grow up.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 5:40 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Kerp, honey, please remove that stick and get a life and stop bashing people on here. You aren't a superior being, you're human like everyone else. Stop telling other people to act mature when you can't.

I can not see the problem with having a drink or two with the girls on a Friday or Saturday night, or even going alone. Just because we're mother, our lives stop? Um, no. Do they change? Absolutely! Should we have to grow up and be more mature? Absolutely! Does that mean we should stop having fun altogether and become stuck up prudes? No. I just don't understand how going out once a week is such a bad thing. If it was days at a time, I could understand that being frowned upon. If she was getting drunk around the kids, I could understand people being upset by that. But one freaking day a week? EVERYONE needs "me" time to relax and de-stress, and that method is different for everyone.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 5:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Kerp...all the responses I read on here of yours makes me want to say that your mother should've used birth control. You are so mean and hateful. Do you get your jollies coming on here bashing people? I doubt you have any friends in real life if this is the way you act IRL.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:14 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• No one said drinking at the bar every weekend, did we? How do you know they don't mean going to the movies? Or like in my case, going to my friends house to hang out or play games? Hmm...you don't, so stop assuming.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 6:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• The question is: When she gets home, after being out and drinking, is she the only person there for the children? If so, she needs to cut out the drinking part.
    But i see nothing wring with continuing to have a social life outside of the house, when you have kids. As long as it doesnt interfere with her parenting (hangovers.. drunken fiascos), she has every right to have some fun. As long as the kids come first, why should she be sitting at home every weekend?
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 6:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2010