Spanking at 2?

My son is 2 next month. All week he has been driving me crazy. Yelling at me, throwing shoes and balls at me! He smacked my face with a shoe!!! Tries shoving random objects in my mouth. I say no and he does whatever. HE ALSO KEEPS TRASHING THE ROOM. I mean if something is on the desk he will toss everything on the floor. Well tonight I had enough! I spank him!!! Not a tap either! I swatted his butt (not bare butt but with a diaper) 4 times! I was angry...... I shouldnt have done it when I was angry. UGH. I AM PISSED OFF AT MYSELF!!!

charmedpixie

Asked by charmedpixie at 4:40 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• First of all you need to stop beating yourself up all of us moms make mistakes. Second you need to keep yourself from disciplining when your angry! Its hard but even if you have to give yourself a time out its better in the long run. Thirdly, Is it possibly that he is bored? Possibly trying to keep him entertained more would help. Spanking a child isnt the end of the world but i doesnt teach them anything. Children learn best from natural consequences. For instance you through all this stuff on the floor now you have to help mommy clean it up before you go play. Timeouts? Have you tried those? They only work really good when you stick to what you say. So if you tell him he is getting one for hitting then everyime he does it he gets one he will learn and realize your serious.

Hope that helps!

crazymamax5

Answer by crazymamax5 at 5:00 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• If you feel like he is starting to drive you crazy put him in time out. If you need a timeout for yourself place him in the crib or playpen for five minutes and enjoy a cup of coffee. You will feel better, and he should behave better when he gets out. I suggest you use 2 minute timeouts in a chair every time he does something wrong. Explain to him exactly why he is there, and if he gets out put him back. Make him sit there until he has been there 2 minutes without getting down. It may take a couple weeks but eventually the behaviour will improve. If he wont sit in a chair make a timeout corner. I see nothing wrong with spanking as long as it isn't in anger, and more than three times. Good luck!
    Aizlynns_mum

Answer by Aizlynns_mum at 6:24 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Just take a deep breath. Its not the end of the world that you spanked your child. Like the others have said time outs work a lot better. Its recommended a min per year. So he would get 2 mins. Good luck hun and if you need someone to talk to feel free to pm me ok.
    ChristianBabe87

Answer by ChristianBabe87 at 7:35 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I, myself, have done that once too. If I get that heated I will put my daughter in her crib for 5 minutes or so and cool off. My daughter still throws things at me every so often if she gets frustrated with me. I just put her in a 2 minute timeout in her high chair and that is what calms her down. She know that she did something wrong if she's in her highchair when it's not time to eat.
    Kimmers1116

Answer by Kimmers1116 at 8:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• The only mistake I can see that you made was in waiting until he had made you angry before you spanked him. Well, actually, I also would have spanked him either on the bare leg or his bare behind. There's way too much padding in a diaper for him to fully benefit from being spanked through his diaper.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:23 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I agree with NannyB. My two yr old is getting to a point where he is wearing me thin on patience. I give 2 two minute time outs in the corner and if that doesn't work and the behavior continues then I spank. TJ hates the corner but he hates being spanked more so if I spank it's the last resort. But I have been where you are and don't be too hard on yourself, give him a warning and a consequence but follow thru the very next time it happens. Also make him repeat to you what will happen if he continues with the behavior.
    Good Luck
    Tara B.
    TaraLB

Answer by TaraLB at 12:10 PM on Nov. 7, 2008