How do I get a plastic fork out of my garbage disposal?

While doing dishes a baby fork (plastic, more like a sportk) went down the drain without me knowing. When I tried to turn on the disposal it just made a hum and I discovered the forks rounded end with prongs is wedged in there. I can't seem to yank it out and have no tools in the house. Can anyone help me figure this out before I have to make DH tear apart my sink when he gets home from a 15 hour shift =(

Winter1derland

Asked by Winter1derland at 5:48 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Home & Garden

• go to the store and get some needlenosed pliers to pull it out. Odds are it'll happen again, so you'll be prepared next time.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 5:50 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Turn off the disposal. The plug is located under the sink, pull the cord out of the outlet. Then you can feel around in there to try to loosen the forks prongs. You can also move the blades around with your fingers,,,BUT MAKE SURE THE PLUG IS REMOVED FROM THE ELECTRICAL OUTLET...sorry just cant emphasize that enough. I have been able to do great things myself in repairing the disposal.
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 5:52 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• 1/2:

UNPLUG THE DISPOSAL!

Using the handle of a serving spoon or long handled utensil, try to rotate the blades of the disposal. If they rotate, you may be able to unwedge the stuck fork enough to simply pull it free. If it does not pull free, then you may need to reach it and dislodge it with pliars.

Once you get it free, attempt to rotate the blades again with the utensil handle. They should move fairly easily. If they do not, check for additional pieces of the fork that may have broken off and wedged under the blade.

When the blades rotate freely, plug the disposal back in and test it while running water. If you hear grinding or a humming noise that indicates the blades are not turning, turn it off. Look underneath the motor for a red button. This is the reset switch. Reset the motor and start the disposal again, while running water. It SHOULD sound as it normally does.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:58 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• 2/2:

If you still hear grinding or the blades are still seized, turn it back off and wait for your husband. The motor may have seized.

(9 times out of 10 though - simply wiggling the blades and pulling the item free works!)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I guess I live dangerously.....but I always just make sure the switch is flipped to "off" and reach my bare hand in there...lol
    CABlonde

Answer by CABlonde at 12:41 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• ive no idea
    san78

Answer by san78 at 6:04 AM on Dec. 13, 2010

• really not sure
    kim0167

Answer by kim0167 at 12:55 AM on Dec. 15, 2010