What is wrong with me?

I donated 500 dollars to my daughter public school at the very beginning.
I have the most complicated relations with my daughter teacher, she grades her extremely low, much lower than the her real level. And so much more...and yet I still donated 500 more yesterday because I thought my name will be on the school donors boards whether that teacher or director like it or not. I hate myself now, since my name will appear only next year...
What is wrong with me?

ganna04

Asked by ganna04 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• So you donated $1000 to have your name be seen on the board? what does this have to do with not liking your daughters teacher?? I am not understanding how they relate to each other...
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:57 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Sounds like you're trying to buy your daughter grades...
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• It is kind of 'I will make you to respect me'...shit ;-(. I feel an idiot now...
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• No, not that... really not to buy her grades...it just i feel they hate me...and if i make them to treat me and my daughter better...
    I don't know. I am not reach at all...
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 6:03 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I cannot understand why I am paying and doing anything for this school if they treat my daughter poorly ;-(.
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 6:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• First, have you had a conference with the teacher? I would do that before you continue to beat yourself up. Donating the money was very nice even if your reasoning was not so nice. You recognized that your motives were poor, you know the real reasons you did - so at this point answering "what is wrong with me", you already know that too - your human. Your flawed. OMGosh aren't we all? I think you do better when you know better. Now that you have admitted trying to buy respect (which can't be done btw), get that conference and find out what is really happening in that classroom. Then when your name goes up on that Board next year, forgive your motives and be proud that you helped your school. Good Luck to you!
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 9:04 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• it sounds like you are trying to buy your daughters (and your) way into some social club... school isn't that. its a place to learn. instead of getting upset at the teacher because your daughter has poor grades... and you gave $1000 to somehow ensure that she would get good grades... i would look at yourself. maybe your daughter is struggling in a certain area... have you talked to the teacher? i have no issue donating my time/money to a good organization, and honestly, i don't expect any sort of "special" treatment because i donated...
    i guess to me its not donating if you're tryingto buy something... like easy street for your daughter or some sort of social "tag" for yourself.
    asil

Answer by asil at 7:46 PM on Dec. 11, 2010

• I think you made a mistake too. I think you need to have a sit down with that teacher.
    spottedpony

Answer by spottedpony at 12:53 AM on Dec. 12, 2010

• You donating money should have no reflection in your kid's grades. If she's being graded low, talk to the teacher about it and work with your daughter. If necessary, use that $500 for tutoring, not bribery.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 7:19 PM on Dec. 12, 2010

• Ok, to be clear, both my husband and myself are professors. I do seat and read with my daughter every day, she also has tutor 4 times a week. Parent teacher conference was very nasty- she could not tell any good word about my daughter, but also did not give any suggestion. Both of the tutors (who do not know each other) state she reads fluently at level 18-20, her teacher indicates that she reads level 8. She states that my daughter math is basic and she does not know to count pass 12, but the point that she does. I came to parent teacher conference with the tutor, the teacher refused to state what is wrong or what we should helped her, she refused to show the grade book or test her any further, she refused everything....
    ganna04

Comment by ganna04 (original poster) at 1:36 AM on Dec. 13, 2010