what is the safe age for an adenoidectomy?

My dd is scheduled for an adenoidectomy next month. She'll be 16 months old. I've been doing some research and found a lot of material saying that it isn't recommeded for kids under 3 to have them removed because they still play an active role in immunity. She has frequent ear infections and this is the reason she's having it done (along with tubes). I'm starting to think we'll just do the tubes. Anyone know any more info about this? Thanks

laura_lu5

Asked by laura_lu5 at 6:30 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Get a second opinion if you don't think that it is right
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 9:55 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My daughter's pedi said that it's actually better to wait until they are at least 7 - 10 years because of the part it plays in immunity. They don't get to full size until closer to that age group. My son had tubes after frequent double ear infections one after the other and in and year and a half since the tubes were put in, we haven't had one. Unless it's a really special case I would get a second or even a third opinion.
    Good Luck
    Tara B
    TaraLB

Answer by TaraLB at 12:03 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• DS had adenoids and tonsils both out at 22 months. His adenoids had grown so large that he couldn't breathe through his nose at all. The surgeon was wonderful. He kept ds in hospital overnight to make sure he was okay, rather than the usual outpatient routine. He had also been having problems hearing. I took him to ent, never imagining that adenoids could cause hearing loss. The surgery was a great success. He got his hearing right back and has been perfectly healthy. Almost never even a cold, and he's now 9.
    KidsHelper

Answer by KidsHelper at 1:15 PM on Nov. 7, 2008

• My son had his adenoids out at 10 months due to sleep apnea from the enlarged adenoids, He had to stay longer for observation, about 24 hrs.
    Pippin228

Answer by Pippin228 at 1:36 PM on Nov. 7, 2008