????? breastfeeding ?????

I'm 29 weeks and 2 days today and i have been thinking about breastfeeding but I haven't had any leakage is it normal for that or does it vary from person to person? or does that mean i might not be able to? I will ask my Dr on Monday but I wanted to get your opinions

Mommy2Be1212009

Asked by Mommy2Be1212009 at 6:51 AM on Nov. 7, 2008 in Pregnancy

• don't worry about it. I didn't have any leakage and i was able to nurse twins without supplementation (after a couple months, mostly because they were in the NICU, and i was nervous about producing enough). My daughter had colic and as soon as we eliminated formula from her diet it was sooooo much better. You should be totally fine and if you have to you can supplement (though usually not necessary)
    good luck! and have plenty of breast pads on hand before the birth you'll need them. (btw if you are planning on ever pumping buy a medela, it's what my hospital uses and the only one they recommend)
    r2mommy

Answer by r2mommy at 6:57 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Leaking is not a sign one way or the other. Whether you leak or not, both are completely normal.  On a personal note I didn't leak prior to baby but solely breastfed until DS self-weaned (no bottles). 

When it comes to breastfeeding education and determination are key. The chances of you not being able to physically breastfeed are 2 - 3%. Most who claim that they didn't or were unable to make enough are usually uneducated in their decision leading to a failed breastfeeding attempt. Be confident in your decision and your body!! You can do it!!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 7:09 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• i leaked and my son wouldnt latch on proberly so its differrent for everyone
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 7:15 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• my gf leaked early and she was unable to produce a good enough amount to breastfeed. my other gf leaked everytime a baby was crying around her. I am 36 weeks and only do if i mess with them (when i wash or put lotion on) but its just a minimal amt. It is different for everyone.
    itsaboy1208

Answer by itsaboy1208 at 7:59 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Different for everyone. You can definitely breastfeed. You have to let the baby suck alot in the beginning even if you feel you aren't producing enough. I hear that its rare to not produce enough milk, women just think they aren't. The more your baby nurses the more milk you will produce. Good Luck!
    LoganAndKennedy

Answer by LoganAndKennedy at 8:10 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Ya it is different for everyone i didnt leak with my first and i feed for a month had to stop cause i wasnt making enough my son ate alot !!! lol
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 8:48 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• I didn't leak at all, but my son nursed so much my supply was huge. Everyone teased that I could nurse triplets. :) The key to remember is that even when nursing is hard it is worth it and to not stress because that can lower your supply. If you want to talk , feel free to pm me
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:22 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• Don't worry about it. With my first I leaked very early on and with my second I didn't leak and I was able to BF both of them. Best of luck!
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 11:11 AM on Nov. 7, 2008

• You can definitely breastfeed. :) Some people leak during pregnancy some don't.
    PhilsBabyMama

Answer by PhilsBabyMama at 11:26 AM on Nov. 7, 2008