Can you help me with this recipe? (question at the end)

It's off the back of a Wheat Chex box.

5 cups wheat chex cereal
1 cup lightly salted whole almonds
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 cup chopped dried apples
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt covered raisins

1. In large microwavable bowl, mix cereal and almonds.
2. In 2 cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave butter, brown sutar, corn syrup and cinnamon uncovered on hight about 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until mixture is boiling; stir. Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated. Microwave uncovered on high 3 minutes, stirring and scraping bowl after every minute. Stir in apples; microwave uncovered on high about 2 minutes or until apples just begin to brown on edges.
3. Spread on waxed paper or foil to cool, about 5 minutes. Place in serving bowl; stir in raisins. Store in airtight container.

Ok, so I plan to replace the covered raisins with Craisins (they're what I have on hand).

My question is: can I make this in the oven? I know it would take a bit longer than 3 & 2 minutes, but I really don't want to use the microwave, I don't really trust doing this that way - or is it microwaved for a reason?! Help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:16 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Food & Drink

• sure. single layer, line the sheet with foil...i would say no higher than 375 for 10 minutes.
    Jenny-talia

Answer by Jenny-talia at 7:20 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• No, I wouldn't use the oven until the later steps. You need to boil the syrup so that it actually forms a syrup and not just a grainy mess. If you don't want to use the microwave, boil it on the stove, preferably over a lower heat or a double boiler.

Once you've stirred your ingredients, then you can bake it.

Just be aware that by baking it, you're going to get a drier, crunchier consistency.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:23 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Yes, I know that I have to boil the saucey ingredients ahead of time. I meant after that, once it's mixed, like regular chex mix.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• And drier crunchier is what I'm going for - it just sounds like it's going to stay chewy in the microwave, which I'm not sure I want.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:26 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• single layer on a cookie sheet
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:10 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I agree, you can do single layer on some parchment paper.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:57 AM on Dec. 11, 2010