breastfeeding questions?

I am not comfortable breast feeding but still want to give my baby breast milk so I am planning on pumping an bottle feeding. But i'm not sure how that would work outside of our house. When we need to go out can I just put a breast milk bottle in the baby bag or will it spoil? I have to be realistic and I just don't see myself breastfeeding or pumping in a store or any where else public we may be. I would like to do it in my own privacy. So can I breast feed at home then formula feed when were out? And if so would i feed him the same amount and stay on the 2-3 hour schedule just swapping out milk? I am so lost any input helps! Thanks ladies!

I think I should add why i am so reluctant to physically breastfeed. My mother has always been umm anti breast milk i guess?! When I told her i was planning on breastfeeding my first. She said it was dirty and i was gross she also said it would be very painful an my boobs would be left looking horrible. She is pretty much the reason I chickened out! So for me to even be considering it this time is a big step and i have to be realistic and know that i am not just going to jump head first into it. So I am just trying to get as much info as i can and know what my options are just to get me comfortable.

luvin_her24

Asked by luvin_her24 at 7:18 PM on Dec. 10, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First, it's great that you want to nurse. What I would do is to pump and use that when you go out but still nurse on demand at home. Then an hour after nursing, pump. You can supplement formula but you may notice that he might have upset tummy from the formula and switching back and forth.
    They do make small coolers for storage when you go out so you don't have to worry about it spoiling.

there are many options for nursing in public. I used many fitting rooms and some places even have mothers rooms for nursing.

The only downside to not nursing when you are out is that you will go thru a painful time unless you only nurse on a set schedule. Your body knows when your little one is ready to feed and produces milk at that time so to better explain. If you only nurse mornings and nights, your body won't produce milk in the afternoon but if you nurse throughout the day and a couple days a week, you go out, cont.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• You can. But to be VERY honest? Your current avatar shows more skin than I've EVER seen a nursing mom show. You brazen hussy, you!

Try practicing in front of a mirror. And grow an attitude of, "I don't care what strangers think. I'm doing my best for my baby." It will serve you better than ANYTHING because you'll keep it forever.

Answer by gdiamante at 7:24 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Your body will still producce milk at that time since it is used to doing so. You may get uncomfortable around that time.
    Jademom07

• When going out in public, you can bring a bottle of breast milk with you. They have storage bags with ice packs in them to help keep the breast milk from spoiling. I was told that breast milk is good for 4 hours at room temp.

Also, pumping feel the exact same as breast feeding exclusively... except pumping can be harder. It is hard to build a strong supply with pumping. I am not sure what you reasons for not wanting to put your baby on the breast, but you can research nipple shields if you are concerned about the baby "hurting" your nipples.

Good luck!
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 7:25 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Whenever you take bottled breastmilk with you make sure it's in an insulated cooler bag with ice packs. It lasts for 6 hours like that I think, maybe longer. It is also good at room temp for 4 hours. Once it has been thawed or taken from the refrigerator and warmed for a feeding it has to be thrown out at the end of that feeding. Nursing when able to and bottle feeding (whether formula or breastmilk) works for a lot of parents. Just use a bottle that is meant to help babies go from breat to bottle, like Tommee Tippee, Nuby nursers, breastflow, and the like. This is more to make it easier on you the next time your LO nurses because it will be less likely to mess up the latch and a poor latch is the #1 cause of soreness. Just be sure that if you feed your LO from a bottle, pump to compensate so your supply doesn't decrease. For instance, if you plan on giving a bottle pump before you leave home.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 7:42 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• I have breast fed three babies and I do not feel comfortable nursing in front of anyone except my husband and kids. I could not get a lot out pumping so bottles were not an option. I have nursed in fitting rooms or my car and have never had a problem finding a spot in public to have privacy. Most people will try to accommodate you if you ask for a place to nurse. I was even allowed into a private suite during a sporting event so that I could sit and be comfortable. I have fount that if you ask a man, they usually will do anything possible, very quickly, for you because they are embarassed! lol Anyway, nursing is not dirty and gross. It is best for your baby. And my boobs still look pretty good, not like they used to but age can play dirty sometimes! My husband doesn't seem to mind so I guess I don't either. Bras work wonders these days! Good job for making the right choice and good luck to you!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:59 PM on Dec. 10, 2010

• Check out some resources. You need support since your mom is being mean. She's a bully.

Go to a La Leche League meeting. There are moms there who pump. They want to help you, not judge you.
    Kellymom.com is a great site for info on how to care for your nursing body, keep your supply up, and get truth about nursing.

Honestly, nursing has made my boobs look so much better.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:24 AM on Dec. 11, 2010

• ill be competely honest breastfeeding and be somewhat painful at times but is worth it in the end. i dont like to breastfeed in public either. you can pump and take a bottle with you it wont spoil i think like 4hours room temp or keep it cool with ice packs and if you at a restraunt you can ask for a warm cup of water to warm it up. you can also do formula when your put but i would do something lactose fee though bc most babies get gassy tummies or other tummy problems if they are getting breast and formula. most of all do whats best for you and forget what other ppl think there is nothing wrong with breastfeeding women have been doing it for centries.
    sherlyn.maske

Answer by sherlyn.maske at 9:45 PM on Dec. 11, 2010